Good helmet for ventilation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
roberts8

Good helmet for ventilation

Post by roberts8 »

I wear a helmet as a personal choice and have had my current one for many years. It is looking a bit battered and scratched and has a patch of road rash so I started to look online. Now totally amazed at the range. I am looking to get one discounted to about £70. Any thoughts. This is not intended to start or divert into the perennial debate just need advise on a piece of cycling kit. Thanks
gregoryoftours

Re: Good helmet for ventilation

Post by gregoryoftours »

I like the planet X podium sl. Sometimes it goes on sale for as little as £10. It's very light, well ventilated and for me at least comfortable quiet airflow-wise.

I've found that some models have sent air past my ears in a way that adds a lot of annoying noise, something that never seems to be talked about.

Build quality is decent, it's slightly thinner than other models I've used so probably doesn't provide quite as much protection. I think that also gives it a low profile and looks better. Certainly not MIPS for that price! Fits a tiny bit small so if you're on the cusp I'd take the next size up.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Kask Rapido. Loads of ventilation. Good quality in all regards. Fit tends to be good for heads slightly on the long side compared to width. Not so much for a round head, seen from above.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You should always try a helmet on before buying, they are like shoes, even the same model can vary from model year to model year.

There are some brands i just can't wear due to the fit even in the 'right' size.

My usual go to brand are MET, nice fit, easy adjustment, good ventilation
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have a Louis Garneau helmet, looks a bit like theier current Jump helmet ie with a small peak. Got it in Evans sale a while back for £30 - I don't think you need to spend more than that, just find one that fits but has just gone out of fashion!

NB its as well ventilated as any other helmet I've used, though next time around I might remember to see if I can get one with mesh inside to catch the flies coming off the dollops of horse droppings we get around here!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I do think that some of the models marketed more for road racing are better vented, though they do cost a lot more too. Of course this may be marketing BS and appealing to trendy racer lookalikes with deep pockets. Some aero models may sacrifice cooling for marginal gains though.

I get pretty sweaty and need a well vented helmet, though rapidly thinning hair has cooled me down a bit recently!

My current helmet is a Giro Synthe I find it well vented and as long as the front pad isn't too worn does well in keeping sweat out of my eyes. May be superceded now and not sure what the current version is. I didn't want to spend so much on the helmet and did try a couple of alternatives at the LBS but found these hot just trying them on in the shop, even top of the range Specialized. Took advantage of a reduced price under the crash replacement scheme to go for the Synthe, the previous one was an Atmos. A conversation with a neuro-surgeon also convinced me that the MIPS options were worth it.

My daughter, with much more hair, also found a basic Met helmet too hot in the summer and really noticed the difference when I got her the same helmet too.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I like Specialized propero,gives most of the features of the high end helmets but at a reasonable price. Had two and will probably by a third when this one needs replacing.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a giro foray

Great helmet for £40

Cheers James