Kona Smoke stem plate bolt replacement

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brianleach

Kona Smoke stem plate bolt replacement

Post by brianleach »

I am trying to fix an out front bracket on my Kona Smoke.

The one I have bought has new longer bolts but seem to be marginally narrower at 3mm and consequently will not tighten up.

I was thinking of getting a longer brass nut and bolt to attach it but am having difficulty sourcing the right size.

Does this sound a possible solution or is there anything else I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
531colin

Re: Kona Smoke stem plate bolt replacement

Post by 531colin »

Stem faceplate bolts are "safety critical" and I would be wary of substituting a brass bolt.
The original faceplate bolts are often "specials" where the head is smaller than "standard" for the bolt diameter and takes a smaller Allen key.
Photos or links to the actual parts would be helpful.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

brianleach wrote:I am trying to fix an out front bracket on my Kona Smoke.

The one I have bought has new longer bolts but seem to be marginally narrower at 3mm and consequently will not tighten up.

I was thinking of getting a longer brass nut and bolt to attach it but am having difficulty sourcing the right size.

Does this sound a possible solution or is there anything else I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Is there a reason you are specifically considering brass, as opposed to a fastener made from another metal?
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks for the responses.

I will take a photo tonight after work and post tomorrow.

Thinking of brass only because it is my all weather bike and the existing bolts have a touch of rust on them.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Stem bolts are a high tensile grade which is not normal in stainless. If you want to stop them rusting then fill the head with a smear of grease. Even a little squirt of WD40 every few weeks is enough of a protective. Alternatively a bit of Kurust on the head will give a passive layer that won't corrode.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

brianleach wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Thinking of brass only because it is my all weather bike and the existing bolts have a touch of rust on them.

I wouldn't use brass bolts (especially small ones) in a place like that. I am careful about safety on all bike components, obviously, but especially anything on the front end of the bike. You only have to imagine what a sudden failure anywhere in the steering components would be like.

I've used brass outside to stop corrosion. But it's weak. I've sheared brass screws, and relatively easy. Usually I drive a steel screw into a plug, take it out and put the brass one in. Even that's only for things like fence fittings, outside plumbing etc. Those these days I'll usually use stainless steel if I want corrosion resistance.

Do what Hamster says. Use steel and some grease/oil/whatever. You can see it getting rusting easily enough.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks for the responses re rust. I couldn't see the rust before (I suppose I didn't really check) but it was covered by the ortlieb barbag bracket which I have now removed.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mikeymo wrote:
brianleach wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't use brass bolts (especially small ones) in a place like that. I am careful about safety on all bike components, obviously, but especially anything on the front end of the bike. You only have to imagine what a sudden failure anywhere in the steering components would be like.

I've used brass outside to stop corrosion. But it's weak. I've sheared brass screws, and relatively easy. Usually I drive a steel screw into a plug, take it out and put the brass one in. Even that's only for things like fence fittings, outside plumbing etc. Those these days I'll usually use stainless steel if I want corrosion resistance.

Do what Hamster says. Use steel and some grease/oil/whatever. You can see it getting rusty easily enough.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

20200526_183758.jpg

Here are the bolts. As can be seen the original is very slightly narrower.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brian I hope you have got to the bottom of this by now, but if not it looks to me like you have a short bolt which has been used; this looks like an M6 (6mm diameter) bolt which is presumably out of your stem.
You also have a new (unused) bolt that looks like M5 (5mm diameter)
Either of those sizes are commonly used for stem faceplates.
Of course an M5 bolt won't fit if there is an M6 thread in your stem.
I think I would be tempted to see if I could use a longer (steel) M6 bolt, in preference to using an M5 bolt and nut. The stem faceplate is obviously a safety critical part.
For comparison;
M5 bolts are commonly used for mudguard fixing to the frame
M6 threads are commonly found on sidepull brake caliper fixing bolts, and brake block fixings
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

531colin wrote:M6 threads are commonly found on sidepull brake caliper fixing bolts, and brake block fixings

And Spa Cycles rack mounts ;-)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Brian I hope you have got to the bottom of this by now, but if not it looks to me like you have a short bolt which has been used; this looks like an M6 (6mm diameter) bolt which is presumably out of your stem.
You also have a new (unused) bolt that looks like M5 (5mm diameter)
Either of those sizes are commonly used for stem faceplates.
Of course an M5 bolt won't fit if there is an M6 thread in your stem.
I think I would be tempted to see if I could use a longer (steel) M6 bolt, in preference to using an M5 bolt and nut. The stem faceplate is obviously a safety critical part.
For comparison;
M5 bolts are commonly used for mudguard fixing to the frame
M6 threads are commonly found on sidepull brake caliper fixing bolts, and brake block fixings

Unfortunately the slot on the bracket, which can't be seen in the photo, is too narrow for the M6 bolt to go through. I tried widening the slot but the metal is pretty tough. I think the M5 nut and bolt is the only solution.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

What component is that?

Is it one of these?

No but very similar (and more expensive!!) It's for a Wahoo Roam.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

brianleach wrote:
What component is that?

Is it one of these?

No but very similar (and more expensive!!) It's for a Wahoo Roam.

I think I completely misunderstood the original post. "Fix" doesn't mean "mend" in this context, does it? It means "attach". Is that right?

And by "original" what do you mean? Do you mean "original" as in "the ones that originally attached the faceplate to the handlebar clamp", or "original" as in "the ones that originally came with the the out front bracket"?