Disc brakes pads left and right

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
merseymouth

Re: Disc brakes pads left and right

Postby merseymouth » 29 May 2020, 9:42pm

Evening all, Can I make it more confusing still?
On a bicycle the disc brakes are always on the non-drive side, (Near Side, Kerb Side), so inside or outside is relatively simple. But I have a tricycle with twin rear disc brakes. So on the near-side of the machine the set-up is reasonably conventional. But on the Off-Side of the machine, Starboard for MickF, the set-up is a mirror image, so explaining things gets a little more complicated?
So on the Near-side the pads go outboard - inboard, but on tuther side from the same view it goes inboard - outboard! Have you got that straight?
Hope that helps :shock: :roll: :lol: MM

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 May 2020, 10:41pm

TheBomber wrote:
BTW the only confusing thing about top swing and bottom swing is how anyone could possibly get it wrong.

It’s confusing because it doesn’t specify what it’s in relation to - the band or the thing being swung (the cage).

since the band doesn't swing and the cage (which you describe as 'the thing being swung') does, isn't it self-evident? If you do a 'bottom swing' are you in any doubt about what is swinging where....?.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 29 May 2020, 11:36pm

peetee wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:‘The left’ is always ‘the left’ ‘the right’ is always ‘the right’. It’s only ambiguous when you say ‘your right’ and ‘your left’. It’s the former, not the latter. So when you’re sat on the bike, left is left, right is right, and remains so. It’s better to refer to them as drive side and non drive side, it saves any issues.

But then if you are, ehem, a less than gifted car mechanic leaning over a bonnet or poking around in an inspection pit, life can get a little complicated. :roll:

With cars, it’s ‘off side’ and ‘near side’ for exactly that reason.

hemo

Postby hemo » 30 May 2020, 12:01am

Bike RHS is drive side/ off side, LHS is non drive side/near side.

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 30 May 2020, 12:04am

gxaustin wrote:
It was always ‘top swing’ and ‘bottom swing’ on front mechs that got me. Found it utterly meaningless.

How true Top or Bottom pull would make more sense to me.

That's a pretty easy one. If the derailleur cage describes an arc like a pendulum it's bottom swing, if like a metronome it's top swing. So high mount band is bottom swing, low mount band is top swing. Top or bottom pull refers to whether the cable pulls from above the mech or below it, or a dual pull the cable can either be routed from above or below.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 30 May 2020, 9:26am

Shimano disk brake pads when are marked "left/right" their cooling fins make the pads to fit in one way only.
Very simple :wink:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 30 May 2020, 7:07pm

Gattonero wrote:Shimano disk brake pads when are marked "left/right" their cooling fins make the pads to fit in one way only.
Very simple :wink:

Oh good, I do like idiot proof!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 30 May 2020, 10:10pm

Mechs can be top pull and either bottom swing or top swing. Or bottom pull and either top swing or bottom swing.

BTW the only confusing thing about top swing and bottom swing is how anyone could possibly get it wrong.

Well I defer to your greater knowledge.
So for my benefit what are the advantages/attributes of top swing versus bottom swing?
Would I be correct in thinking that my Shimano Ultegra mechs are top swing?
My Simplex front mech is linear BTW.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 31 May 2020, 8:01am

gxaustin wrote:
Mechs can be top pull and either bottom swing or top swing. Or bottom pull and either top swing or bottom swing.

Well I defer to your greater knowledge.
So for my benefit what are the advantages/attributes of top swing versus bottom swing?
Would I be correct in thinking that my Shimano Ultegra mechs are top swing?
My Simplex front mech is linear BTW.

The "top swing" is done for Mtb's where the space is rather limited due to short seat-tube or the linkages of the rear suspension and so on, then the cable routing, as well.
Just think of where the clamp is and then where the cage moves: in a Mtb "top swing" derailleur the clamp is lower than the cage, so the latter "swings on top of it". You can see it well in this image, look at the linkages:

While the road bike derailleurs that we all know, if you see it from the front (or rear) you see that the clamp is higher than the cage, and the latter "swings under it".
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 31 May 2020, 2:42pm

The "top swing" is done for Mtb's where the space is rather limited due to short seat-tube or the linkages of the rear suspension and so on, then the cable routing, as well.
Just think of where the clamp is and then where the cage moves: in a Mtb "top swing" derailleur the clamp is lower than the cage, so the latter "swings on top of it". You can see it well in this image, look at the linkages:

Thanks for that