Attaching 1-2kg of Extra Weight to a Racing Bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnweightsen

Attaching 1-2kg of Extra Weight to a Racing Bike

Post by johnweightsen »

Two spare tubes
Decent pump
Two tyre levers
Multi-tool
Cable to charge lights
"Ok" lock
Waterproof saddlebag

The weight comes to around 1.4kg.

Attaching this underneath my saddle made my bike handle noticeably differently. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to!

Simple question, will a tool bottle in the downtube bottle cage make the bike handle more similarly to the naked bike?

FYI it's a late 80's road bike with typical racing geometry.
Graham

Re: Attaching 1-2kg of Extra Weight to a Racing Bike

Post by Graham »

johnweightsen wrote: . . . . .Attaching this underneath my [???] made my bike handle noticeably differently. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to! . . . . .

(1). I have put the [???] in place because I think that you have forgotten to write saddle there. It is implied by your listing of a saddlebag, but please use the EDIT button on that post to clarify to others.

(2) The saddle area is exactly where a bicycle is designed to carry significant weight. The kit list specified is a weight-weenie and should NOT affect the handling of the bike, unless that weight is swinging around madly ( and even then I would doubt it ).

Are you absolutely certain that there is a significant handling difference between saddlebag-ON & no-saddlebag ???
[ The mind sometimes plays tricky tricks. ]
johnweightsen

Post by johnweightsen »

Edited it now, yes, saddle indeed, thanks.

I'm not sure if it would be classified as weight weenie due to riding with a lock but it's probably lighter than two full bottles I suppose?

Either way I can definitely feel the difference. Cornering, climbing out of the saddle etc.

Some people (like me clearly!) are more highly strung than others so I suppose I need the opinion of someone the same. Although I'll enjoy reading the opinion of anyone!

Cheers.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I usually ride with a load of kit in a backpack. Loading the weight on to me, and not the bike helps a lot.
nsew

Post by nsew »

A top tube frame bag would position the weight better and provide better access. Personal favourite is the Ortlieb (4L). Strong zip, tough, light (170g) and waterproof. https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/frame-pack-toptube
johnweightsen

Post by johnweightsen »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I usually ride with a load of kit in a backpack. Loading the weight on to me, and not the bike helps a lot.

Me too, normally. A couple of kilos in a small backpack for just nipping about is not bothersome at all.

It was more curiosity that had me trying to add my crap to the bike.
johnweightsen

Post by johnweightsen »

nsew wrote:A top tube frame bag would position the weight better and provide better access. Personal favourite is the Ortlieb (4L). Strong zip, tough, light (170g) and waterproof. https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/frame-pack-toptube

I was using the 4.1L Ortlieb Saddle Bag, really well made products.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

johnweightsen wrote:Two spare tubes
Decent pump
Two tyre levers
Multi-tool
Cable to charge lights
"Ok" lock
Waterproof saddlebag

The weight comes to around 1.4kg.

Attaching this underneath my saddle made my bike handle noticeably differently. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to!

Simple question, will a tool bottle in the downtube bottle cage make the bike handle more similarly to the naked bike?

FYI it's a late 80's road bike with typical racing geometry.

The lower the CofG, the less issue you will have. Although, I have to say, 1.4kg is not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things and I'm surprised you can actually notice the difference.

Putting it in a backpack will just make things worse, not better, so I would ignore that advice.
Marcus Aurelius

< Mod EDIT : Please don't start the personal aggravation, please. >

< Content deleted >
Last edited by Graham on 31 May 2020, 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marcus Aureluis VS notmyusername
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Unless you're some 60 kilo pro-rider whippet, 2 kilos attached to your bike close to where your seated centre of mass is anyway is unlikely to affect the bikes handling significantly (unless you're doing an inordinate amount of out of the saddle honking).
johnweightsen

Post by johnweightsen »

I suppose this topic is just yet more proof that we're all a bit different.

Regardless, still interested to hear everyone's opinion and maybe even get an idea of how everyone else sets up their essential tools etc.

Has anyone tried a tool bottle with the lock wrapped round it?

And I'm sorry, but I promise I can notice the difference in handling!
Marcus Aurelius

If you put the weight on the bike, it’s dead, static weight. You can’t move it easily to prevent it making the bike’s handling go to crap. If the weight is attached to you, it’s easy to shift it dynamically into a position which won’t cause the scary moments in a corner ( for example ). The lighter the bike is to start with, the less weight you need to add to notice the difference as well. I’ve got all sorts of bikes, with the heavy old Hybrid, you’d have to strap a dead horse to it to notice a difference. With my super lightweight race bike, I’d notice whether or not I’d had a wee or not, riding it.
peetee

Post by peetee »

If it’s sat behind the saddle wobbling from side to side like a pendulum it might make a difference but held securely you are unlikely to feel it.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Perhaps a ( small ) change in weight is enough to disturb an equilibrium that otherwise conceals a frame/headset problem ???

e.g. My 1991 Raleigh Road Ace 531c got into a full-on tank slapper down a steep hill because the worn indentations on the headset bearing caused the whole frame to start oscillating violently in those conditions. . . .. I managed to stay upright, but it was very nearly a very nasty outcome.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Graham wrote:Perhaps a ( small ) change in weight is enough to disturb an equilibrium that otherwise conceals a frame/headset problem ???

e.g. My 1991 Raleigh Road Ace 531c got into a full-on tank slapper down a steep hill because the worn indentations on the headset bearing caused the whole frame to start oscillating violently in those conditions. . . .. I managed to stay upright, but it was very nearly a very nasty outcome.

This is more likely, IMO...