Sloppy Headset on Pinnacle Journey 1.0 Folding Bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ActonBikeman

Sloppy Headset on Pinnacle Journey 1.0 Folding Bike

Post by ActonBikeman »

Hello, this is my first post, I hope someone can help with a coule of technical queries.
I have just bught a secondhand Pinnacle Journey 1.0 folding bike, supplied by Evans Cycles, who are not responding to my request for help.
The headset is loose, ie you can feel it move when you put the front brake on. Dropping the handlebars down to the folded position reveals a long bolt with an Allen key head. Tightening this up as tight as it will go makes no difference. There is no other visible adjustment. Is the bearing shot? How would I replace it if neccessary? Second query, the rear wheel has a puncture. How do I dismantle the 3 speed Nexus hub gear connector at the back axle so that I can take the wheel off? Any advice would be most helpful. Thank you.
Paulatic

Re: Sloppy Headset on Pinnacle Journey 1.0 Folding Bike

Post by Paulatic »

This should help you get your wheel out.
[youtube]LJ-jdZNU-LU[/youtube]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

can you manage a photo of your bike's headset? You may well have a threaded headset in which case the headset bearing adjustment is via two big spanners on the top race.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threaded-headset-service

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

This link to dahon folding bike headset adjustment may help you. I had this arrangement on a Raleigh folder. You may need to release the handlebar clamp before you adjust the headset loading.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80451 ... ml?page=57
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ActonBikeman

Post by ActonBikeman »

Thanks, Paulatic, that works for the rear hub removal. Headset is not 1" threaded and not the same as Dahon folder, so Suggestions so far are not the answer in this case. But thanks for responding.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Brucey wrote:can you manage a photo of your bike's headset?
ActonBikeman

Post by ActonBikeman »

Sorry Brucey, I can only attach a photo next Thursday, as the bike is in a another location at this moment
ActonBikeman

Post by ActonBikeman »

I am still trying to tighten the headset on my Pinnacle folding bike. I notice that there is an internal large thread in the centre of the upper part, where the bolt goes into the headset, which looks as though it is to be used to insert an extractor - it does not seem to have any purpose apart from this (see third picture below).

Here are some photos which will hopefully shed some light on the issue:
Attachments
20200617_123315.jpg
20200617_123239.jpg
20200617_123029(0).jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

normally a long bolt like that would secure a quill stem, but that doesn't look like any arrangement I am familiar with.

Probably I'd have to take it apart to see how it was meant to work.

FWIW Pinnacle is an Evans brand; Evans ought to be able to supply you with an owner's manual, and a good Evans mechanic ought to know how this setup is meant to be adjusted.

cheers
ActonBikeman

Post by ActonBikeman »

I agree, the bolt looks like a quill stem, but it is not, because the "stem" is in the other part of the head which is above the fold. I emailed Evans ages ago, but they have not replied. There are only a few Evans shops left and they have long queues outside them. And they don't answer phones. I looked at a website offering "workshop manuals" for everything, including this bike, but I suspect that all they would supply would be the user manual that came with the bike, which basically says Take it back to the shop if you have a problem. I haven't taken the wheel off to peer upwards from below, but so far I can't see any way of taking it apart. The large nut you can see in the pictures is actually not a nut, it is part of the thing below, so it might be used in the extraction process. Thanks for taking an interest, I am open to any suggestions.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the bottom part of stems on folding bikes is often a quill stem-type thing; yours isn't like that but if it were that would still be part of the stem. The stem is just long and has a hinge in it. in some designs where the stem ends and the steerer begins is something of a moot point.

I'd suggest that the next thing to look at might be what you can see at the bottom of the fork crown (with the wheel out and mudguard off).

Also; is there perhaps an allen key fitting exposed in the centre once the bolt is out? If there is, this could perhaps be the headset adjuster?

cheers
ActonBikeman

Post by ActonBikeman »

OK, thanks
Bikeman

Post by Bikeman »

Hi
I have just recently come across your post and believe I may be able to help, have you solved the problem of the loose/floppy handlebars?