HELP: Issue with rear cassette and/or hub!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: HELP: Issue with rear cassette and/or hub!

Post by Brucey »

gregoryoftours wrote:I was on a ride with my sister once when her sun embrittled spoke protector disintegrated and dragged the rear mech into the spokes!

ah but which was cause and which was effect....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I think that the spoke protector was already cracked and a piece stuck out enough to catch the derailleur. Could be wrong though! Some bobby discs (that's our local name for them) these days are absolutely dismal, just a narrow hoop ring of a diameter slightly greater than the biggest sprocket. They aren't going to do anything to protect the spokes whatsoever. I think that in principle a properly designed disc is a pretty good idea; as someone else says it just takes someone to knock your bike in the stand or to lean against it etc to bend your mech hanger enough to bring about disaster.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

could be.

FWIW the small spoke protector discs are intended to be such that the RD/chain/guide pulley hits the disc before the whole thing plunges into the wheel.

These days there is arguably more need than ever for such discs; if you use a 'road' 11s setup then in bottom gear there may be only 1-2mm clearance from the RD to the spokes; it doesn't take much to send the RD into the usual 'death plunge'....

I suppose it is one way of boosting spare part sales.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

On my cycle tour of Austria last year my chain started slipping and coming off and the gears were all over the place. Took the panniers off and upped the bike but still saw nothing that could be the reason. I did notice that the plastic spoke protector was broken and did it's own thing in going round etc but thought nothing of it.
I struggled ( literally as the chain kept coming off ) to the next town with a bike shop. Went in and explained to the chappy. He immediately asked me to remove bags. He then whipped the wheel out and on the bench and had the cassette off in about 4 secs and pointed immediately to the broken plastic spoke protector and ripped it off. Perfect. I could have taken the blasted thing off earlier in the morning when the trouble started with the bike in the upright had I known or realised.
So Take the thing off as it isn't needed. Your first youtube shows it is not revolving correctly.
However the second Youtube definitely shows a problem with the sprockets. That is something quite different. Back to the shop.
Good luck.