Advice please about durability of this bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Grigson

Advice please about durability of this bike

Post by Colin Grigson »

I’ve just bought this bike having decided to return to proper cycling after 38 years. I understand the bike (Pinarello Dogma 2) is around 8 years old - it’s absolutely unmarked and I don’t want to cause it any damage - is there anything I need to be particularly careful about?. The wheels appear fragile for example. I’ve ridden on it for around 100km and it feels great :D . So pleased to be back in a saddle !. Any care advice would be gratefully received too. By the way, it’s fitted with Sram red and force gearing - everything is carbon and it weighs around 7kg which is a considerable improvement on my last bike, that was a Muddy Fox Courier Mega from the 80’s that’s still going strong.
Attachments
A004C800-67FE-4E2A-9EA3-2416D0981E04.jpeg
geomannie

Re: Advice please about durability of this bike

Post by geomannie »

Gosh, after 38 years you have gone in the deep end!

Not a lot to say really, just the usual stuff. If you want to keep it nice, avoid riding when weather is wet, keep the chain clean, check chain wear frequently (change at 0.75% elongation), watch rims, tyres brakes for wear but most importantly don't crash!

By the way, the front wheel quick release is on the unconventional side.

Enjoy your confection.
geomannie
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

geomannie wrote:Gosh, after 38 years you have gone in the deep end!

Not a lot to say really, just the usual stuff. If you want to keep it nice, avoid riding when weather is wet, keep the chain clean, check chain wear frequently (change at 0.75% elongation), watch rims, tyres brakes for wear but most importantly don't crash!

By the way, the front wheel quick release is on the unconventional side.

Enjoy your confection.

Thank you geomannie for taking the time to reply 8)
When you say 0.75% elongation - how would I measure that please ? Is there a gauge or something I should have ?
It’s funny you mention the front wheel quick release - when I got the bike the front wheel was mounted the other (wrong I think) way, the trailing edge of the spokes were ‘into wind’ when going forward so I turned it around - hopefully to the correct orientation although it would be nice if someone could confirm that. Is it worth changing the wheel spindle around ?.
I’ll do my best not to crash too - I’m going incredibly carefully initially :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Avoid riding over potholes and keep the tyres hard to protect the wheel rims from damage.

Keep exposed moving parts clean and lubricated

Don't crash.

Other than that it should have a lot of good use left in it.

Looks nice.
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

pwa wrote:Avoid riding over potholes and keep the tyres hard to protect the wheel rims from damage.

Don't crash.

Looks nice.

Thank you for the tips pwa,
You’re the second person to advise me not to crash .... is it more likely or something ... is there something I should know :shock:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Colin Grigson wrote:You’re the second person to advise me not to crash .... is it more likely or something ... is there something I should know :shock:

No, just stating the obvious for a laugh more than anything. Personally I'd save a bike like that for fair weather rides in the summer, which will tend to make it last a lot longer than a bike ridden all year round. You probably need a scruffy bike for days when the roads are muddy.
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

I only intend to use it for fair weather riding anyway - I have my old Muddy Fox for everything else and trips out with the children ... good to hear there’s no increased risk of crashing :D
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Colin Grigson wrote:
pwa wrote:Avoid riding over potholes and keep the tyres hard to protect the wheel rims from damage.

Don't crash.

Looks nice.

You’re the second person to advise me not to crash .... is it more likely or something ... is there something I should know :shock:

Aye, mainly a jest but also because the bike is carbon and a crashed carbon frame can be rendered scrap. Sometimes the damage might be hard to see. A steel frame conversely, damage is more obvious and can (usually) be fixed, albeit at a cost.

Enjoy riding it.
geomannie
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

geomannie wrote:
Colin Grigson wrote:

Don't crash.

Looks nice.

Aye, mainly a jest but also because the bike is carbon and a crashed carbon frame can be rendered scrap. Sometimes the damage might be hard to see. A steel frame conversely, damage is more obvious and can (usually) be fixed, albeit at a cost.

Enjoy riding it.

I understand that I’ll have to be extra careful then ... I’ll certainly enjoy riding it whenever I can - most likely a lot slower than it’s been used to :D
99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

Nice bike.I really fancy a Dogma 10 but not the price-tag.

One thought.Are they not Time-trial wheels?Personally I'd swap them out for a more standard style spoked wheels an sell those on.UK road can be very unforgiving.
I remember a very bizarre incident when Gianni Moscon(Team Sky) front wheel totally collapsed in a TT a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/dwy9pgVcWco

I've never trusted that style of wheel!!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Also coming off long descents pulse the brakes so that the carbon rims don't hear up too much.

Cheers James
peetee

Post by peetee »

Talking about crashing, is that front wheel spindle done up correctly?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Is it worth changing the wheel spindle around?

I can't see enough on the photo, but you should be able to unscrew just the quick-release skewer, take it out and put it back into the axle from the other end, 5 minutes at the most
Invest in a torque wrench and google/youtube maintenance before doing too much. Your two bikes are from different centuries and you run the risk of inadvertently damaging a CF bike and even putting the bike into a workstand or onto a roofrack can be fraught! Enjoy the bike
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

Thanks for the advice people :)
I’ve taken a couple of pics of the front hub in case it’s fitted incorrectly ... maybe one of you could confirm for me ?. I’m unsure what you need to see so please let me know and I can take some more if required ...
Can one of you confirm the wheel has the spokes leading correctly too please ?
Attachments
BAD1A2DB-626E-4110-A129-662301BF8F30.jpeg
5ECD1AA3-9D34-4D0B-A058-EEE771EEFEE1.jpeg
3C209534-4529-4D77-A229-472C0C251BB4.jpeg
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
There's a video here about wheel removal (link)
A quick release (QR) wheel is at 1:42 After opening the lever keep unscrewing the nut-thingy at the other end, slide the skewer out and reinsert from the opposite end. Make sure that the conical springs go back the right way around.
I've never owned aero CF wheels so I'd be guessing about orientation
DON'T brace your hand on the fork blades to undo/tighten the lever, you could break the fork blade
You'll find loads of other useful videos on that site
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~