Is your phone too big for your bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nigelnightmare
Posts: 681
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 10:33pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby nigelnightmare » 22 Jun 2020, 9:53pm

I bought an iPhone 6s to use on the bike mainly because "topeak" make a waterproof case with a mount for the bike.
The touch screen and finger print recognition work while it's in the case.
Battery life is a LOT better than my old Samsung galaxy S4 and it charges direct from the dynamo (Sunup eco) with the lights on.

severs1966
Posts: 13
Joined: 23 Aug 2014, 2:52pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby severs1966 » 28 Jun 2020, 4:39pm

I find that my Sony XA1 is ideal for carrying when on a bike. It's waterproof-ish, and available in a dual sim model (G3112) as well as the more normal single sim version (G3121) (I use the dual sim, one sim is a Three data sim, the other a PAYG O2 sim for voice and SMS

You can get them on ebay for about £100.

I have mine in a semi-rigid rubberised case like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162523022387 but "thin" cases and rigid cases are available as are screen protector films.

I carry it on the bike in one of those cheap chinese zippy "pods" that strap on top of the top tube just behind the handlebar stem, with a transparent top so you can use the phone for GPS and so on: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392827647541

Set up like this I run a USB-C to micro-USB-B wire from the Intuvia unit on my electric bike to charge the phone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383438777537

mercalia
Posts: 13551
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby mercalia » 28 Jun 2020, 5:57pm

severs1966 wrote:I find that my Sony XA1 is ideal for carrying when on a bike. It's waterproof-ish, and available in a dual sim model (G3112) as well as the more normal single sim version (G3121) (I use the dual sim, one sim is a Three data sim, the other a PAYG O2 sim for voice and SMS

You can get them on ebay for about £100.

I have mine in a semi-rigid rubberised case like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162523022387 but "thin" cases and rigid cases are available as are screen protector films.

I carry it on the bike in one of those cheap chinese zippy "pods" that strap on top of the top tube just behind the handlebar stem, with a transparent top so you can use the phone for GPS and so on: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392827647541

Set up like this I run a USB-C to micro-USB-B wire from the Intuvia unit on my electric bike to charge the phone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383438777537


you need to treasure the O2 payg sim if its a 321 sim as its now discontined by O2 leaving only Three with such and their coverage is not good.

Golflad
Posts: 11
Joined: 1 Aug 2017, 12:44pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby Golflad » 30 Jun 2020, 11:00am

I have had exactly the same problem with my new OPPO phone. It is huge. I decided to solve it by putting my old DORO clamshell phone back into use and using 1psim card. Great. I now just take the Doro when out on the bike. Fits in any pocket and it has a decent camera too.

severs1966
Posts: 13
Joined: 23 Aug 2014, 2:52pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby severs1966 » 30 Jun 2020, 5:17pm

mercalia wrote:
severs1966 wrote:I find that my Sony XA1 is ideal for carrying when on a bike. It's waterproof-ish, and available in a dual sim model (G3112) as well as the more normal single sim version (G3121) (I use the dual sim, one sim is a Three data sim, the other a PAYG O2 sim for voice and SMS


you need to treasure the O2 payg sim if its a 321 sim as it is now discontinued by O2 leaving only Three with such and their coverage is not good.



I have no idea if it is a "321", whatever that means. I have had the same PAYG subscription and phone number from O2 since 2003. How would I know if it is a "321" SIM ?

mercalia
Posts: 13551
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby mercalia » 30 Jun 2020, 5:33pm

severs1966 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
severs1966 wrote:I find that my Sony XA1 is ideal for carrying when on a bike. It's waterproof-ish, and available in a dual sim model (G3112) as well as the more normal single sim version (G3121) (I use the dual sim, one sim is a Three data sim, the other a PAYG O2 sim for voice and SMS


you need to treasure the O2 payg sim if its a 321 sim as it is now discontinued by O2 leaving only Three with such and their coverage is not good.



I have no idea if it is a "321", whatever that means. I have had the same PAYG subscription and phone number from O2 since 2003. How would I know if it is a "321" SIM ?

3p/min voice, 2 min/text 1p/1mb data.

hmm you may have a very very old account as I did that had stupid costs. You should investigate what the costs are. This was mine until I swaped over a few years ago-

02  iriginal tariff.png


Those original prices for voice, text and data are HORRENDOUS

why I switched a few years back

Do you have an online account with O2?

if so you could try a live chat with them for them to tell you what tarif you are one.

I cant at the moment find out the webpage for that


hmm

in order to chat you need an online account with them

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-o2? ( my o2 register )

then

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

then after login you may get a floating window which can open a chat window then you can give them you number

I can do this for you if you send me the phone number
and relay back what they tell me about the tariffs you are paying
or or can write to them I suppose
Last edited by mercalia on 30 Jun 2020, 6:18pm, edited 3 times in total.

nirakaro
Posts: 1131
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby nirakaro » 30 Jun 2020, 6:02pm

Stradageek wrote:Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now?

My dad came off his bike a few miles from home, and broke his arm, at the age of ninety. After that he agreed it was worth carrying a phone with him on future rides. :D

Stradageek
Posts: 751
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby Stradageek » 1 Jul 2020, 8:12am

nirakaro wrote:My dad came off his bike a few miles from home, and broke his arm, at the age of ninety. After that he agreed it was worth carrying a phone with him on future rides. :D

I take your point but I fear for regression to the state in which I found one of my elderly friends. She was wandering around a shopping centre visibly shaking - the problem - her phone was in the phone shop for repair/upgrade and she kept repeating, "what if something happens!!!"

I've always maintained that the phone companies have us by the short and xxxxx:

Kid love them because they are cool and peer pressure means they have to have one
Teenager love them for the same reason and because they are essential for locating your mates on a night out
20-somethings love them because they show that my job is so important that I have to be in continuous contact
And the elderly have to have them because "something might happen!!"

Then once we have lost the ability to use a map, cash etc and a virus makes only video contact possible we can't live without one - but I'm trying to :D

nirakaro
Posts: 1131
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby nirakaro » 1 Jul 2020, 8:32am

Stradageek wrote:
nirakaro wrote:My dad came off his bike a few miles from home, and broke his arm, at the age of ninety. After that he agreed it was worth carrying a phone with him on future rides. :D

I take your point but I fear for regression to the state in which I found one of my elderly friends. She was wandering around a shopping centre visibly shaking - the problem - her phone was in the phone shop for repair/upgrade and she kept repeating, "what if something happens!!!"

I've always maintained that the phone companies have us by the short and xxxxx:

Kid love them because they are cool and peer pressure means they have to have one
Teenager love them for the same reason and because they are essential for locating your mates on a night out
20-somethings love them because they show that my job is so important that I have to be in continuous contact
And the elderly have to have them because "something might happen!!"

Then once we have lost the ability to use a map, cash etc and a virus makes only video contact possible we can't live without one - but I'm trying to :D

I take your point – and I certainly have my own Luddite tendencies – but I suspect these views have been expressed about virtually every technological advance.

The gas and electricity companies have us over a barrel unless we read by candlelight and cook over a wood fire.
We're in hock to suppliers of cars, trains, buses (and bicycles) unless we stick to riding horses.
Horse sellers are notoriously untrustworthy so we'll settle for walking.

Couple of million years ago, the oldies were tutting and muttering, What's that disgusting thing they're doing with their food now? Cooking, do they call it? No good will come of it, mark my words – I'll stick to chewing my mammoth meat raw.

simonhill
Posts: 2974
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby simonhill » 1 Jul 2020, 10:13am

Maybe it's in the name - phone. Yesterday I did make a phone call, but I rarely do that. In between the odd call I use my phone as a small hand held computer. At home, it saves me logging on my PC. When travelling it saves me looking for an internet café.

People on here who moan about phones presumably have a PC, so they can't be that anti the technology. In some ways it's like moaning about those new fangled laptops.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 5045
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby RickH » 1 Jul 2020, 5:26pm

mercalia wrote:you need to treasure the O2 payg sim if its a 321 sim as its now discontined by O2 leaving only Three with such and their coverage is not good.

Mrs H is on 321 PAYG but that on 3. I never came across a 321 tariff on O2 & I was with them for years, both PAYG & contract. Moot point as 321 doesn't appear to be a current option on 3 either though.

mikeymo
Posts: 1151
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby mikeymo » 1 Jul 2020, 10:00pm

simonhill wrote:People on here who moan about phones presumably have a PC, so they can't be that anti the technology.


Not true. I'm posting this from a steam powered difference engine that the nice Mr Babbage made for me.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

nirakaro
Posts: 1131
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby nirakaro » 1 Jul 2020, 10:20pm

mikeymo wrote:
simonhill wrote:People on here who moan about phones presumably have a PC, so they can't be that anti the technology.


Not true. I'm posting this from a steam powered difference engine that the nice Mr Babbage made for me.

Ooooh, I'd like to see that. Please can you post a picture? And a circuit diagram?

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17414
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 2 Jul 2020, 12:24am

Quad lock cases are an excellent option.

Many phones are now waterproof as well...

We managed for thousands of years without the wheel - does t mean I want to carry on doing so
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mikeymo
Posts: 1151
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Postby mikeymo » 2 Jul 2020, 1:39am

nirakaro wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
simonhill wrote:People on here who moan about phones presumably have a PC, so they can't be that anti the technology.


Not true. I'm posting this from a steam powered difference engine that the nice Mr Babbage made for me.

Ooooh, I'd like to see that. Please can you post a picture? And a circuit diagram?


What is this "circuit" thing to which you refer?
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.