What size of road tyre for my Old Mountain Bike ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

Re: What size of road tyre for my Old Mountain Bike ?

Postby fausto99 » 19 Jun 2020, 9:14pm

TimFromLondon wrote:Thanks folks - very helpful!

If you have any trouble finding some I have a pair of slickish Continental 26” (559) tyres hanging up in my garage.
PM me

TimFromLondon

Re: What size of road tyre for my Old Mountain Bike ?

Postby TimFromLondon » 21 Jun 2020, 2:28pm

You are all so amazingly helpful and generous with your time, advice and offers of tyres! What an amazing community I've stumbled across!

I am now sorted out with a set of sparkling (well they're really kind of matt but you know what I mean) new tyres that fit a treat. Yes they are 559 so I must have mis-measured (just tell tell my family that I got it wrong!).

I have now sorted the bike with new tyres, second hand shifters and brake lever assemblies, new inner and outer cables for gears and brakes coupled with a damn good clean and re-grease of the chain followed by adjustments of front and rear derailleurs from end shops to indexing. All this has transformed my old weary workhorse into a new machine....maybe I don't need need that shinny new Trek, Giant, etc after all...we'll see...

Many thanks again!

Tim

Oh yes what did I get? - I couldn't find stock of the Big Apples that many of you had recommended but I found a pair of Continental Double Fighter 26x1.9 at my local Halfords. A little hard to fit but the ride is great.