Front derailleur reluctant to change up recently

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Front derailleur reluctant to change up recently

Post by LittleGreyCat »

On the last couple of rides the FD has been reluctant to change up into the biggest ring.
3 * 9 transmission.

I have STI shifters and what looks like a knurled adjuster (but it may just be an end for the outer) where tube down shifters would be.

If so, should I be twiddling the adjuster or twiddling the high screw on the FD?
Jdsk

Re: Front derailleur reluctant to change up recently

Post by Jdsk »

You need the limit stops set correctly.

After that you can adjust the cable tension, and maybe some other bits.

Jonathan

PS: Does the changer move further when you twiddle the appropriate stop after shifting as far as possible towards it?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If it’s been working alright until recently and nothing has been knocked then surely the cable has gone a bit slack?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Can you move the FD easily by hand? If yes, tighten the cable. If not, check the top limit screw. If it still doesn't shift there is probably something wrong or stiff in the FD.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The screws on the FD are not adjusters. They are just "stops". They stop the FD from shifting the chain over the big ring or dropping off the small ring. As Paulatic suggests if it is a new problem then cable or the FD has moved. Another slightly possible answer is the chain is worn. A worn chain bends easily and resists being moved onto the big ring.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

cycleruk wrote:The screws on the FD are not adjusters. They are just "stops". They stop the FD from shifting the chain over the big ring or dropping off the small ring. As Paulatic suggests if it is a new problem then cable or the FD has moved. Another slightly possible answer is the chain is worn. A worn chain bends easily and resists being moved onto the big ring.

New chain, 3rd time out, I think.
First lubrication after factory improved things briefly but then the problem returned part way through the ride.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Paulatic wrote:If it’s been working alright until recently and nothing has been knocked then surely the cable has gone a bit slack?

Or maybe a bit of grit got under the top limit screw?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
hemo

Post by hemo »

Might just be something simple as cable stretch, check for any cable slack when on the smallest chain ring.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

LittleGreyCat wrote:New chain, 3rd time out, I think.
First lubrication after factory improved things briefly but then the problem returned part way through the ride.

Has this started since the new chain? Could be the FD doesn’t like the new chain. Is it the same speed chain?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Check the condition of the cable at both ends. If it's starting to fray the travel will be reduced giving those symptoms, followed by catastrophic failure!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I had this same problem.
I found that the wires of the outer housing had pushed through the plastic end ferrule - the extra force needed to go onto the large ring made the wires slide through the cap and consequently it was reluctant to change.
I changed the plastic end cap for metal. Brucey suggested that preparation of the outer housing should include grinding the ends square.
As others have said the inner cable may be slack - maybe check that first.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Finally check the crank bolts are tight. Loose cranks move away from the mech.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Well, it seems to have been the limit screw, associated with a slightly slack cable..

(1) Changed to lowest front cog, checked changing. Indexing went all the way up with 3 clicks for top gear but failed to change up to largest ring.

(2) Changed down to lowest front cog, felt tension of cable with finger. A bit slack (but I had previously been twiddling the cable adjuster to no apparent benefit).

(3) Twiddled the cable adjuster to take all the slack out of the cable. Tested, and indexing only clicked twice for the top ring. Hmmm......something stopping the 3rd click?

(4) Twiddled the stop screw out about 1 full turn and then tested. Now changing up with 3 clicks. Twiddled it another half turn for luck, and tested changing up from large rear cogs as well as small ones. All seems good. Will fine tune on the road over the next couple of rides.

So that leaves me with the question "Why did it stop working and what has changed?".

As far as I know I haven't belted the FD on anything (quite hard to do, I imagine) so why does it suddenly go out of whack after 18 months of sterling service?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

could the chainrings have moved to the right for any reason?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Brucey wrote:could the chainrings have moved to the right for any reason?

cheers

Difficult to work out how.

I will double check there is nothing adrift.

I did remove and replace the bottom bracket as part of the general once over, but that was a while back and the gear change problem has only just manifested.