BB lock rings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Trigger

BB lock rings

Post by Trigger »

I'm still trying to fix up this Gazelle that I bought locally, it was only supposed to be a quick job and it has turned into a right pain in the 'arris :roll:

I eventually managed to get the crank off with the stripped thread but both bottom bracket lock rings are seized solid, cheater bars, hammer and cold chisel haven't shifted either of them yet. It's only going in the bin anyway so is destruction my best option? if so what's the best way of doing it without potentially damaging the frame?
gregoryoftours

Re: BB lock rings

Post by gregoryoftours »

Photos please
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

+1 Pics would help! What make is the BB and what are the cups made out of - steel or aluminium? I would firstly try some heat using a heat gun for a minute or so followed by a blast of penetrating oil. Repeat a few times and try drifting off again. It helps to gently drift the wrong way to start as tightening can be a good way to start loosening if you follow me. If that does not work then carefully 'weaken' the lock rings by cutting/grinding with a hobby tool. Always eye protection when doing stuff like this.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

It says Mavic on it, I don't have a picture at the minute. It looks very much like the one below:

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=79

Which implies I might be in for some trouble when it eventually comes out as they seem to be the solution to a stripped BB shell. Great.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

That is a Mavic 610, aluminium rings, worth preserving as rebuildable and compatible with 90's Campag. To fit one of these BB's the bottom bracket shell has to be bevelled as the Mavic BB does not rely on the shell threads at all. The bevelling process does not prevent the future use of a std BB and the threads should be OK. Having said that sometimes these units were fitted due to the BB threads being damaged! I think the lockrings have become corroded onto the bare metal of the bevels. Both rings have right handed threads. To loosen try what I suggested upthread.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

They're well mangled now so it's scrap anyway. It felt gritty and not very free which is why it was coming out. I don't have a heat gun only a blow torch and I'd rather not use that. I'll have to find a bigger hammer.

I see from the spec it has ISO square taper yet it had a Shimano crank on it...
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Could also be an earlier Mavic 600 (I have one of these somewhere) which does have cups!
Take some pics please........
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I had one of these on a steel frame - It had corroded so much I had to cut it out!
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

You can use a soldering iron instead - rest the tip on the ring for 15-mins or so.
Yes a Shimano crank will go on too far and be ruined.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Pneumant wrote:Could also be an earlier Mavic 600 (I have one of these somewhere) which does have cups!
Take some pics please........

Definitely not one of them. Like I say, it's identical to the one in the link.

I'll put some plus gas on it and then try again tomorrow.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Bigger hammer got the lock rings off in the end, but the cups are solid. I can get a good grip with a pair of footprints but I don't have a cheater bar big enough to go over the handle so this is the next problem.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Trigger wrote:I'm still trying to fix up this Gazelle that I bought locally, it was only supposed to be a quick job and it has turned into a right pain in the 'arris :roll:

I eventually managed to get the crank off with the stripped thread but both bottom bracket lock rings are seized solid, cheater bars, hammer and cold chisel haven't shifted either of them yet. It's only going in the bin anyway so is destruction my best option? if so what's the best way of doing it without potentially damaging the frame?

IIRC provided you can unscrew the adjuster (LHS), the axle and bearings can be drifted out of the assembly in this model Mavic BB. At this stage you can either rebuild using new bearing parts (IIRC if the axle is good you can use parts from cartridge bearings) or you can cut the aluminium housing out of the frame.

Once the lockrings are off the main housing should just slide out of the frame. Too late now of course but IIRC the spindle is cross-drilled and the whole unit can be purged with grease using a grease gun. I would probably have greased it and used it for a while before trying to do anything with it; 'feeling gritty' is perfectly normal for cartridge bearings with the slightest corrosion in them, which might be terminal, but then again might not be, as revealed by further use.

Probably the threads in the frame are banjaxed anyway (which is why the Mavic BB was fitted in the first place; BTW it might be glued in place) so you will have another repair to do...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Brucey wrote:
Trigger wrote:I'm still trying to fix up this Gazelle that I bought locally, it was only supposed to be a quick job and it has turned into a right pain in the 'arris :roll:

IIRC provided you can unscrew the adjuster (LHS), the axle and bearings can be drifted out of the assembly in this model Mavic BB. At this stage you can either rebuild using new bearing parts (IIRC if the axle is good you can use parts from cartridge bearings) or you can cut the aluminium housing out of the frame.

Once the lockrings are off the main housing should just slide out of the frame. Too late now of course but IIRC the spindle is cross-drilled and the whole unit can be purged with grease using a grease gun. I would probably have greased it and used it for a while before trying to do anything with it; 'feeling gritty' is perfectly normal for cartridge bearings with the slightest corrosion in them, which might be terminal, but then again might not be, as revealed by further use.

Probably the threads in the frame are banjaxed anyway (which is why the Mavic BB was fitted in the first place; BTW it might be glued in place) so you will have another repair to do...

cheers

Well it's an ISO taper and I have Shimano stuff to go on it so wouldn't have been wise to reuse it I think. The lock rings are well dead, straight in the bin.

From what I can see it may just be that they're corroded in as there is a lot of white al oxide coming off when I wire brush the exposed threads, looks like its never been out to me. Can't shift either cup, tried a punch in one of the holes but it is just boring its way through the ally.

I wondered about making some flats on the cups and trying a big spanner?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hope you have better luck than one i had a go at. This frame eventually went for scrap. Story here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94465&hilit=dawes+bottom+tool
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

rjb wrote:Hope you have better luck than one i had a go at. This frame eventually went for scrap. Story here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94465&hilit=dawes+bottom+tool

Well I'm hoping that because it has been stored well and nothing else on it was seized that I am in with a chance.

Were these types of Mavic BBs fitted just as a regular BB even if the frame threads weren't knacked?