Which front mech?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MartinC

Which front mech?

Post by MartinC »

I've just changed the chainset on my touring bike to a 46-36-24. It was 48-38-26 but I wanted the chainset for another bike and lower was better. The front mech now clears the chainstay by a whisker. This OK now but I know that on some rainy dark night with a bit of wear or creep or a knock it's possibly not going to clear any more. A front mech with a shorter cage is the ideal solution as opposed to shifting the mech higher or trusting to luck. So the question is does anyone know a front mech that would be any better?

Spec is below - it's all fairly new but old school:
Spa Tour frame. 7 speed (NOS). DT shifters. Deore 9 speed rear mech. IRD Alpina front mech. 8 speed chain. 13-34 cassette.

I'm tempted to try a Deore M951 or an Alivio front mech but not even sure if the cage is any different. Or whether the 10 tooth outer/middle difference will be a problem. Or whether that they only seem to be available for 66-69 degree chainstays matters. So if anyone has a similar set up that works I'd be grateful for your knowledge.

;:
MartinC

Re: Which front mech?

Post by MartinC »

Bump. Been out in the garage comparing various front mechs and I'm beginning to think the Alpina is already the best option.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

FWIW I have a similar triple Spa TD2 46-34-24 working very nicely with Campag Centaur 10 sp FD.
Edit: Planet X are selling these for £49.99 at the moment.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Nice piece of lateral thinking, thanks. I've a couple of Comp mechs in the spares box. Might need a bit of trimming with an 8 speed chain but that's not a big problem with DT shifters. I may even have a Comp 9 speed one.