Mercian Frame Restoration

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Mercian Frame Restoration

Postby Mick F » 30 Jun 2020, 7:29pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Have you tried a very mild cutting compound on it Mick - chances are it's the top few microns only, and a mild hand polish may well reinvigorate it.
Yes, I've polished it and fettled it, but it's only paint.

Before, it was Enamel Paint.
Very different stuff to nowadays.

Correct me if I'm wrong here ..........

In the olden days, paints had solvents in them much frowned upon these days.
Now, the paints are water-based instead of solvent-based.
Mick F. Cornwall

col2019

Postby col2019 » 30 Jun 2020, 7:48pm

chris marshall for paint

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 30 Jun 2020, 8:06pm

Mick F wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Have you tried a very mild cutting compound on it Mick - chances are it's the top few microns only, and a mild hand polish may well reinvigorate it.
Yes, I've polished it and fettled it, but it's only paint.

Before, it was Enamel Paint.
Very different stuff to nowadays.

Correct me if I'm wrong here ..........

In the olden days, paints had solvents in them much frowned upon these days.
Now, the paints are water-based instead of solvent-based.

Yes, exactly that. It's why modern cars are often sporting 'orange peel' paint jobs. It's inferior in every way except environmentally.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 30 Jun 2020, 8:35pm

Yep.
Exactly that.
Mick F. Cornwall

markjohnobrien

Postby markjohnobrien » 30 Jun 2020, 9:11pm

slowster wrote:Do Argos, Mercian, C&G or anyone else painting individual bike frames use an oven to cure the paint?

I presume the factories which mass produce bike frames all use ovens. I suspect that with the paints currently available an oven is essential to get what many customers would consider satisfactory results.

Bob Jackson and Mercian use an oven and it’s standard practice amongst good resprayers, https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/craftmanship/paint/

but it’s the problem with the soft modern paint finishes that aren’t durable that’s the issue. I used to own a Roberts and it was resprayed by Colourtech around 2014 (who did all of their frames): absolutely beautiful work, dazzling to look at, but soft as ....

Thank god some of my favourite bikes are late 90’s to 2000 and have superb, durable, and hard as nails paint that looks great as well!

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 30 Jun 2020, 9:23pm

I think modern enamels still have hydrocarbon-based solvents rather than being water-based; it's just that they're not quite as nasty as the stuff from the good old carcinogenic days...

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 30 Jun 2020, 9:31pm

bikepacker wrote:I am considering having my Mercian Frame circa 2000 restored to its former glory. My first thought was getting Mercian to do the job ….. I do think there is a case for going back to the original builders....

If you want the original style job, I'd go to Mercian. For one thing they are most likely to do the same job and use the correct transfers too. FWIW I don't think there are any refinishers that have never screwed up or been complained about.... are there...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Des49

Postby Des49 » 30 Jun 2020, 9:33pm

markjohnobrien wrote:but it’s the problem with the soft modern paint finishes that aren’t durable that’s the issue. I used to own a Roberts and it was resprayed by Colourtech around 2014 (who did all of their frames): absolutely beautiful work, dazzling to look at, but soft as ....

Exactly my experience too. I had a frame resprayed at Colourtech via Roberts about the same time, beautiful, but even after leaving it a few weeks as soon as I tightened any fittings like seat bolts or bottle cages the paint flaked off to reveal white undercoat.

Any little knock or rub left areas that needed retouching. I suspect it may be a touch tougher now, but it made me too think of titanium.

Had 2 more Roberts frames resprayed a year later, they are still to be rebuilt, so hopefully have hardened off better.

Finally 2 years ago I had my 1987 Roberts that I was still racing in its original tough metallic light green, raced a lot, crashed a few times, travelled a bit and never even had a chainstay protector whereas the bike resprayed a few years ago chips through the chainstay protector! But due to surface rust I had it resprayed at C&G in Liverpool. Again a beautiful finish, thick as the frame number had disappeared under the BB, but the lugs were still fine. This frame has not been rebuilt yet either, so unable to give a full opinion on the robustness of the finish.

But in common with others here I agree it seems that the modern paints are just not like they used to be regarding toughness.

mig

Postby mig » 30 Jun 2020, 10:54pm

i have a frame by C&G from 1997 in motorola colours of the era. really well done and scarcely marked despite many a mile.

however i would take a mercian back to them and have them do it mainly to keep it 'right' (but also as mrs mig lives not too far from there.)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Jul 2020, 8:53am

When I took mine back, the paint cost more than the frame was!

This is mainly because I wanted the same colour scheme with the seat-tube bands and the lug lining.
When I bought it originally, all these thing were included in the spec and the price. Now, they're add-ons and not cheap.
Mick F. Cornwall

boblo

Postby boblo » 1 Jul 2020, 9:32am

I had a frame refurbed by Mercian about 15 years ago. They did a bit of fettling and brazing plus a 2 colour flamboyant finish. The bike (not a Mercian) was bought in the early 80's and the refurb was a lot more £££'s than the original purchase price. However, it was FANTASTIC.

Assuming things are still to the same standard, I would have no hesitation repeating the process. Sadly, though the finish on that frame is still A1, it has been retired after a severe shortening incident with one of Sweden's finest...

Roy A

Postby Roy A » 1 Jul 2020, 10:10am

The original finish of my 1960's King of Mercia being well used was in poor condition and the frame had some surface rust in places. It was refurbished by Mercian about 10 years ago including some additional brazing. The paint finish and lug lining was excellent. Extra work does push up the price though. More recently I have had a 1990's King of Mercia refurbished to the same excellent standard.

Mercian also supply touch up paint, which is mixed to order in their standard colours should you need to match the paint in future.
King of Mercia, Giant Defy, Raleigh MTB, Brompton M3L & S6L

fausto99

Postby fausto99 » 1 Jul 2020, 11:04am

Bonefishblues wrote:...Have you tried a very mild cutting compound on it Mick - chances are it's the top few microns only, and a mild hand polish may well reinvigorate it.

If the top few coats are clear then you might improve the shine with cutting compound but you won't be reaching the colour layers. If the colour has faded it will remain so. Won't it?

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 1 Jul 2020, 11:24am

tatanab wrote:
If you want to see any of these you are welcome to pop across that big river to visit.

I may take you up on that if I am over your way after we get the all clear on my wife. I will let you know in advance and it will be nice to chat about bikes and trikes with you again.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 1 Jul 2020, 11:27am

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think it will go back to Mercian and let them restore it to its original finish. Also with out new Worcestershire Parkway station quite close to me, we have a direct train to Derby. Save having to drive.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".