Lacing Saddles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jimlews

Lacing Saddles

Postby jimlews » 30 Jun 2020, 9:02am

I have an ancient Brooks B17 Narrow that I bought some time ago from this Forum.
It's been very comfortable right from first use as is usual with these.
It came with a couple of holes bored through each side skirt to prevent splaying. As the sides are now doing that, I've employed a leather lace through the holes and tied off underneath.
Problem is, the knot slips during the course of a 5 - 10 mile ride and I'm left with a splayed (hammock like) saddle c/w a very tight knot but a loose lace.

So, my question is:

What is the trick with securing and maintaining tension of the lace, given that access in between the saddle rails is quite restricted for my 'spatulate' fingers?
Is there a particular knot, or some special fastener that I should be using?

BTW riding a hammock'd saddle is not an option for me.

Hope someone can help.

Paulatic

Re: Lacing Saddles

Postby Paulatic » 30 Jun 2020, 9:33am

Are you timing it like a shoe lace?
If so your knot might be a granny you need a reef.
If this is your problem then google will give you the answer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

NickJP

Postby NickJP » 30 Jun 2020, 9:51am

I used some fairly heavy fishing line to perform the same operation on an old Brooks Pro, with the line tied off with a bowline at one end and multiple half hitches at the other. Those knots have now held for more than 20 years without slipping:

rjb

Postby rjb » 30 Jun 2020, 10:45am

Try a cable tie. :wink: easy to tighten if it's too loose but don't overdo it.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 30 Jun 2020, 2:44pm

I use a bootlace on mine & tie it off with a reef knot, but it's hard to make the knot while keeping the sides under tension so I then put a cable tie around all the lacing and pull that until it's as tight as I want it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 30 Jun 2020, 5:07pm

Thanks fellas, all sound advice and good.

I've gone with rjb's method, simply because I saw a cable tie on the road this morning and had one of those !Eureka! moments. Did an emergency stop to retrieve it.

Works really well; I've returned to my former ergonomic bliss :D Ahh!

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 30 Jun 2020, 6:34pm

Bowline (or other loop forming knot) on one side, then the other side makes round turn (not a half turn) on that loop and several half hitches in the same direction to secure.

The difficulty is not losing the tension while you secure the half hitches. A round turn helps with this (due to increased friction) but you can also use needle nosed pliers to pinch and lock the round turn while securing it.

Or two bowlines and a cable tie through them, hidden away to spare your blushes.