prop stands

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tom

prop stands

Post by Tom »

good evening folks,

Trying to find decent prop stand for my daughters Coventry Eagle have tried two to no avail both failed, the one fitted behind bottom bracket the other on chain stay tube, bottom bracket one, due to the spring overcoming however tight you tightened bolt the stand slowly fouled the crank, No 2 stand swivelled round slowly causing bike to fall over,any ideas,what are the ones that fit onto the rear axle like bearing in mind it has a three speed fitted

Regards all Tom
simonineaston

Re: prop stands

Post by simonineaston »

Why bother? Plenty of walls. I understand of course that wheel flop or bike roll can rain on the parade but a parking brake in the form of a velcro strap (for example) to apply the front brake, cures those two issues. This solution has worked brilliantly for me for the past three decades.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Rear axle ones seem quite good on a friend's bikes but I've not used one in anger.

If the bike hasn't got a proper stand fixing plate in front of the back wheel, you can pretty much give up on a centre stand or prop stand staying put, in my experience. At some point, it'll get knocked during parking and it'll move at best - and damage the stays at worst.

simonineaston wrote:Why bother? Plenty of walls.

I like my grips, saddles and bags. Walls scuff them up.

If I don't have a stand, I sometimes manage to lean the luggage rack onto a fence or parking rack, but ideally, I'll wedge a telescopic pole under the saddle. Otherwise, the bike gets to lie down on some grass: left side down, pedal "up" at 12 o'clock.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Walls scuff them up.
Only if the bike rolls.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Stands are invaluable if you have a child trailer. I use a Hebie Fox L that attaches to the rear of my Genesis Day One. Ugly, obviously, but works well.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonineaston wrote:
Walls scuff them up.
Only if the bike rolls.

And as it leans!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Or use the rear triangle like this? (Never tried one, but looks sensible - not sure if using a rear disk though...)
"42"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Have been using these stands for years without problems.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-BIK ... SwuDte4epK
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker