TA Carmina Triple

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
220kestrel

TA Carmina Triple

Post by 220kestrel »

I have one of the above which is a triple. A lovely condition Campag 10 speed groupset (double) has come into my possession and I would like to fit. I can easily take off the inner climbing ring that I don’t really need and convert to double. Question is then do I need a new bottom bracket to bring the remaining two rings in a bit and give me a better chain line. Any thoughts? Kerry.
peetee

Re: TA Carmina Triple

Post by peetee »

The better option in my opinion would be to retain the third chainring and use a compact cassette. More gears, closer spacing. What’s not to like?
I have a Campagnolo triple on my bike. I run a 12-25 cassette and have all the gear ratios I need. If I got rid of the granny ring I would have to run a cassette with 33 tooth cog and in consequence loose all the Closely-spaced gear changes in between.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it all depends on

a) what the gearing is likely to be in each case
b) what gear ratios you like to use and
c) how you feel about more doubleshifts vs running cross-chained.

There is no 'one-size-fits-all' answer to this.

IME there are a lot of riders using various 'conventional' 2x systems that would be much better off using a triple or super-compact double setup, because with the standard double or 'compact double' they spend too much of the time cross-chaining. But without knowing more of the abc above it isn't possible to say which might be better for you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Used as a double the chainrings will be a little further outboard than if it was a double. But the advice is to try it.
I should coco.
220kestrel

Post by 220kestrel »

Thanks for your replies guys.
I would probably keep the triple but the ergo levers don't allow.
I will be running a 13-29 10 speed rear.
46-36 front gives me a sufficient range.
I don't cross chain but do occasionally end up double shifting.
Looks like I will give it a whirl and see how we go.
Thanks again.
Kerry.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

many (all models at one time) 10s ergo levers allow the use of a triple. I wouldn't just assume that they don't.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

220kestrel wrote:I will be running a 13-29 10 speed rear.

IIRC, Campagnolo specified that the long cage version of the 10 speed rear derailleur is required with the 13-29 cassette, i.e. regardless of whether using a double or triple chainset. The short cage derailleur was only supposed to be used with the smaller cassettes, i.e. up to 13-26.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

220kestrel wrote:... do I need a new bottom bracket to bring the remaining two rings in a bit and give me a better chain line...

I use a TA Carmina triple with Campagnolo Record 10 speed long cage rear mech' and triple front, 13-29 cassette, 26/36/46 rings. I use a JIS 116mm BB, my Van Nicholas Yukon has a front mech' clamp size of 31.8mm, the width was not dictated by the chain line, I initially fitted 113mm, the chainset fitted with clearance between small ring and chainstay, although the front mech' would not shift far enough inwards, it simply hit the seat tube before dropping the chain onto the small ring.

220kestrel wrote:I would probably keep the triple but the ergo levers don't allow.I will be running a 13-29 10 speed rear...

Before I upgraded to 10 speed Record levers I had been using Veloce 10 speed, I still use Centaur 10 speed on another bike; maybe worth trying what you have to check. Regarding the 46t chain ring what size had you been using with the existing front mech'? I ask as the only slight issue I have is with mine, as it designed for the radius of a larger chain ring, it does work but it is a compromise. I can live with it, not changing down under a load and 3-4th sprocket down and it's acceptable; to me that is, to others that maybe a deal breaker.
TA Carmina.jpg
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 10 Jul 2020, 9:30am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

slowster wrote:
220kestrel wrote:I will be running a 13-29 10 speed rear.

IIRC, Campagnolo specified that the long cage version of the 10 speed rear derailleur is required with the 13-29 cassette, i.e. regardless of whether using a double or triple chainset. The short cage derailleur was only supposed to be used with the smaller cassettes, i.e. up to 13-26.

Medium or long cage with a 13-29 or 12-30 cassette. Capacities are Short - 27, Medium - 36, Long - 39.