Synapse 2016 internal cable routing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nickp

Synapse 2016 internal cable routing

Post by nickp »

No, not another "how do I get the cables in" query!

I've managed to pick up a Synapse 2016 frame hoping to transfer over a battered but operational 105 5600 groupset. Reading though the Shimano installation notes for the 5600, they mention the inadvisability of installing the 5600 shifters using internal cable routing due to friction affecting the gear changes. The same note appears on the 5700 instructions too even with the improvements to cater for routing the cable through the handlebar tape.

So my question is: is it worth even persevering with the 5600, upgrading to the 5700 shifters, or just upgrading the entire setup to seomthing more current (and expensive!) ? If you have an alloy Synapse with internal routing from 2016 what set up do you have?
Brucey

Re: Synapse 2016 internal cable routing

Post by Brucey »

unless the cable routing is especially poor in the synapse frame then it won't be any worse than in loads of other bikes. [NB it is often possible to improve internal cable runs by installing cable liner in strategic places.] A common outcome in some frames is that it works OK when the cables are new, but that shifting degrades quicker than it should do as the cables deteriorate.

With any given cables in any given frame I'd expect it to work better with 5600 than 5700, because 5700 has extra bends in the cable run beneath the bar tape.

5700 has the dubious honour of being the last shimano 10s groupset that used the 'old' shift ratio and had underbartape routing. This arrangement caused so many problems the 4600 groupset (launched the year after 5700) stuck with washing lines and shimano changed shift ratio for all subsequent 10s systems (eg 4700) and all 11s systems.

I would suggest that you try with the 5600 parts, using the best cabling/setup you manage and see how you go. Worst case is that it costs you the time it takes and maybe the cables too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nickp

Post by nickp »

Thanks Brucey - good to know you think it's worth a try. A test run inserting cables into the frame didn't throw up any blockages, burrs or other obstructions. As you say not a lot to be lost by trying and at least I'll have cables threaded for the next one if the 5600 doesn't work!
nickp

Post by nickp »

What a great source of information this forum is! With the help of Brucey ( and others) I've managed to shoehorn a Shimano 105 5600 groupset from a 13 year old nameless alloy frame onto a 2016 vintage Synapse alloy frame. The shifters of course work just fine, the internal routing seems not to be a problem, and even having to replace the front brake caliper with the longer reach R451 unit was made risk-free because of a conversation on this site.

What makes the information really useful is not just knowing what the right answer is but also understanding the context for the inevitable follow up questions.

I just wish I had done this years ago! The new frame (lighter! stiffer! much more compliant!) makes me about 5% faster on selected Strava segments and even tames the cobbles round Kelso town centre.

The next project is to convert from triple to double and I'll be avidly reading all I can find on compatibility. I think from what I've seen if I can find a 5601 shifter and an inexpensive 10 speed double crank I'll be in business with minimum stress.