Freehub nut removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
WitchKingofAngmar

Freehub nut removal

Postby WitchKingofAngmar » 12 Jul 2020, 9:21pm

Good day fellow bikers,

Unwisely a couple of day ago i went out for a ride along a hard packed gravel track when it was raining. Upon returning home, I heard an ungodly sound coming from the rear cassette area when the tryre was spinning freely. After a bit of investigation, i found the sound was infact coming from the freehub which may have got some grime stuck in it.

So, I embarked on an open, clean, degrease and re-grease (very lightly) protocol, but stumbled at the first hurdle: i couldn't get the freehub bolt nut undone.

I've attached some pics. The nut that needs to be undone is recessed within the head of the freehub body - is there a special tool to undo this or is it a case of clink clink bang bang!?

My bike is a Whyte suffolk 2017 (Shimano 105 drivetrain). I bought this from an individual who routinely carried out their own service and so i suspect there should have been a spacer below the nut to raise it slightly so it can be opened easily with a spanner.

Any help is much appreciated.
Image Attachments
20200712_133819.jpg
20200712_145928.jpg
20200712_145937.jpg

fausto99

Re: Freehub nut removal

Postby fausto99 » 12 Jul 2020, 9:56pm

You usually need to take the axle out to get to the hollow hex which holds the freehub on. If you're lucky it takes a 10mm allen key. If you not it'll be a bigger one. Not so common. I don't recognise the cone/nuts on the drive side - is the other side easier to get apart?

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Jul 2020, 10:09pm

Hi,
I think the locknuts been removed drive side, so just the cone nut visible.
Sorry if that's obvious.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

WitchKingofAngmar

Postby WitchKingofAngmar » 12 Jul 2020, 10:38pm

The drive-side is what's shown in the picture, if right in thinking that it's the side where the cassette goes? The other side is where my disc brake rotors go and is A-okay in terms of nut removal.

This is the nut that I can't get open:
20200712_145928.jpg

But as you can see it's not raised enough for me use a wrench on it.
20200712_145839.jpg

Eyebrox

Postby Eyebrox » 12 Jul 2020, 11:36pm

If it's a Whyte bike it could be a lock nut that requires a penta key to get it off (5-sided hex style key)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Jul 2020, 12:33am

some hubs (with two cartridge bearings for the rear hub, and a more 'conventional' freehub body based on the shimano style internally) are disassembled by removing the locknuts from the left side of the hub, and then driving the axle out rightwards using a soft hammer. This pushes the RH bearing and the RH seal out of the freehub body along with the axle and bearing. Once this is done you can get a cone spanner on the remaining RH axle fittings which are often otherwise inaccessible.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 13 Jul 2020, 6:40am

Usual practice is to remove the nuts from the other side. The lock nut, which you have got off, and the cone , which you can see are exposed there. This also means that you have not disturbed the length of axle exposed on the right, drive, side. It is often really well tightened.
So you have started on the wrong side really. You also must have had to hold the lock nut on the left with a spanner to get the right lock nut off. Regarded in most circles as not a good idea as it can damaged the axle. I did that once :oops:

Leave the right side as it is. Take the left nuts off with , probably a 17mm spanner and a probably, 15mm cone spanner. Push the axle out and reinstate the right locknut without moving the right cone. TIGHT. Bearings will rpobably go everywhere. Catch them.
Now you get to the freehub. Either a 10mm allen key from the right side or often 11 or 12mm from the left if it is not Shimano.
Other variations of all this exist but this works for me.
May have missed something.