'Vintage' brake block recommendation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Re: 'Vintage' brake block recommendation

Post by Samuel D »

robert17 wrote:The outer cable is a beautiful seventies off white with ribbing. Any ideas where this can be located? Brakes also have what I understand is called a yoke cable.

Also, the cables seem thicker than modern ones. Am I imagining this?

Ah. Can’t help with finding that sort of housing. NOS on eBay if you’re willing to throw money at this?

Campagnolo and others did make thicker brake cables in the past. I think they were about 1.8 mm.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC ribbed cable housing never has a cable liner; this means that such cables (even when well lubricated) are a fair bit draggier than modern cables which have a liner. Personally I'd do without the ribs and have brakes that worked properly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Brucey wrote:on steel rims braking is never going to be great in the wet but if you want brakes that work reasonably well on steel rims these fibrax sh297 brake blocks work as well as anything I have yet tried

cheers

Fabulous recommendation. Huge improvement. Packaging did however say 'for alloy rims'. Anyway, many thanks.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Glad you like them! As I said on the basis of the product description it would not have occurred to me to even try them on steel rims were it not for the recommendation of others.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robert17

Post by robert17 »

In summary, they may not be truly authentic in looks. However, they are acceptable on that front and coupled with great performance I'm very happy. I will probably put the domed nuts on to improve the look.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Brucey wrote:...You want 'reasonable performance'...? Well I don't :roll: think 'reasonable' includes no noticeable effect when you first apply the brakes in the wet, ...

I suppose I should have mentioned I only use a steel rear rim with front hub brake :oops: ....but I Am not sure whether the wet dry difference is more annoying than the slight delay on wet or not...

It would be nice if the sh297 was available in slide in pad
form...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)