Spa Nidd , does it go a good bit further back than the B17 ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jimneycricket

Spa Nidd , does it go a good bit further back than the B17 ?

Post by jimneycricket »

Hello ,

I think I have had it with my B17 , just cant get it into a good position with those short rails and my bikes don't take that grand cru post and my bike fashion sense doesn't take that ugly saddle set back adapter thing. I have heard the Nidd goes back further but does it go back by much? I reckon I need at least another 2cm.
freeflow

Re: Spa Nidd , does it go a good bit further back than the B17 ?

Post by freeflow »

What about a humpert ergotec seatpost. 50mm setback depending on the design of the saddle rails.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ergotec-fut ... ost-720038

Slightly fiddly to get the seat angle correct but an excellent seatpost.

A quick comparison shows that my Nidd has 8cm of straight rail compared to the 5-5.5cm available on my defunct Brooks B17.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gilles Berthoud saddles also have more adjustment than Brooks. At a price.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I can directly compare B17 narrow with Berthoud Aspin and Spa Wharfe; with both of those the nose of the saddle goes further back than the nose of the B17N....however, you don't sit on the nose, and I don't think my bum bone dent is any further back than it is on the B17N. (ie the B 17N is longer than the other two)
Here is a previous discussion...https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104331&hilit=setback&start=45
slowster

Post by slowster »

jimneycricket wrote:my bikes don't take that grand cru post...I reckon I need at least another 2cm.

It might be worth providing a bit more detail, just in case someone can suggest something you might not have thought of. Why won't your bikes take the Velo Orange Grand Cru seat post, what seat post are using currently/how much set back does it provide, and what is the seat tube angle(s) of your bikes?

For what it's worth, I've always been a bit bemused by the popularity of the B17. It's a relatively wide saddle; wider I think than most racing/touring saddles. Before Brooks introduced the S versions of its saddles specifically for women, I think the standard B17 used to be the choice of many female touring cyclists. I could never get on with the width of the standard B17, and instead used a B17 Narrow and a Professional.

I wonder if the extra width of the standard B17 is a factor in needing/wanting more setback, i.e. a narrower saddle like the B17N or the Professional will presumably allow a rider to sit further back on the saddle.
jimneycricket

Post by jimneycricket »

slowster wrote:
jimneycricket wrote:my bikes don't take that grand cru post...I reckon I need at least another 2cm.

It might be worth providing a bit more detail, just in case someone can suggest something you might not have thought of. Why won't your bikes take the Velo Orange Grand Cru seat post, what seat post are using currently/how much set back does it provide, and what is the seat tube angle(s) of your bikes?

Hi slowster , the grand cru is too big for my seat tubes plus I already have a 20mm setback post , the grand cru would only give another 1 cm I believe. I really like the Brooks and want it to work but I am ready to try something else. I got a lend of a cambium c17 and put it on one of the bikes and it was much better fore aft adjustment for my long inseam of 90cm. The Nidd is cheaper than the cambium plus I want to keep that classic look with a leather saddle so If I think I can get a leather saddle with enough setback I would take a shot at it. The bikes in question both have brooks b17 and are old 80s steel frames , not sure about seat tube angles but they don't look out of the ordinary at a glance.
jimneycricket

Post by jimneycricket »

freeflow wrote:What about a humpert ergotec seatpost. 50mm setback depending on the design of the saddle rails.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ergotec-fut ... ost-720038

Slightly fiddly to get the seat angle correct but an excellent seatpost.

A quick comparison shows that my Nidd has 8cm of straight rail compared to the 5-5.5cm available on my defunct Brooks B17.

Thanks but again same problem as the grand cru , its too big for my seat tubes which are 26.8
jimneycricket

Post by jimneycricket »

Well ok , this is from a reply to an email I pinged off to Spa cycles

"A Nidd will move 40mm (1.5") further back than a B17."

That's it settled then , I'll try one out I guess.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I generally like Spa stuff (I've got 3 bikes with Spa frames) but my experience with their leather saddles was not good. They never break in (and I'm not light) and the nose piece broke often. I'd look at a lay back seat post instead.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Came across this 26.8mm seatpost tonight

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicyc ... sh-silver/

which looks to have a significant setback
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

jimneycricket wrote:Hello ,

I think I have had it with my B17 , just cant get it into a good position with those short rails and my bikes don't take that grand cru post and my bike fashion sense doesn't take that ugly saddle set back adapter thing. I have heard the Nidd goes back further but does it go back by much? I reckon I need at least another 2cm.

That's a steep frame Jimney - I have the same problem - apparently my upper leg is long in comparison to my lower leg and For my saddle height, like you, I need my saddle set well back. I have a Spa Calder (otherwise like the Nidd, but it has a textured top) and yes, it works for me. A problem with modern frames are that they're steeper than they used to be!

What kind/make of frame is it?

As an aside, I chose the Calder because I live in Calderdale!!! Some will say that that's sad! It is taking some breaking in though - which is sad for my bum! In times past I've found B17s comfortable from the start! Serves me right for getting a steep frame.
jimneycricket

Post by jimneycricket »

Hi john ,

Its a 1980 s touring frame. Couldnt tell you what the angle of the seat tube is.

Im looking at a new bike with a seat tube angle of 72.5 degrees. Does that sound steep to you ?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

jimneycricket wrote:Hi john ,

Its a 1980 s touring frame. Couldnt tell you what the angle of the seat tube is.

Im looking at a new bike with a seat tube angle of 72.5 degrees. Does that sound steep to you ?

That sounds about right for me - a Brooks saddle would be OK on that FOR ME though.