Cross Chaining - good or bad.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pete75

Cross Chaining - good or bad.

Postby pete75 » 23 Jul 2020, 8:45am

Fairly interesting article on cross chaining Campag and Shimano say it's bad but Sram say nothing wrong with it. I don't know if there's any significance in the Campag and Shimano responses coming from Press/PR people and Sram's from their road product manager.

https://road.cc/content/feature/cross-c ... bad-213468

Vantage

Re: Cross Chaining - good or bad.

Postby Vantage » 23 Jul 2020, 9:15am

Cross chaining has been considered bad practice for as long as I can remember and not just from shimano or campagnolo, but mechanics also.
You only have to look at the mechanics of it. Straight teeth on chainrings and sprockets. It makes sense to have a straight chain running on them. Start running that chain at a stupid angle and things are going to start wearing at an increased rate.
I can see sram's interest in this being the new kid on the block. More wear on their parts = users buying parts sooner and more frequently = more money for them.
Maybe I'm a pessimist.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

peetee

Postby peetee » 23 Jul 2020, 9:24am

SRAM rely heavily on marketing 1x systems with groups offering up to 12 sprockets. There is little difference between cross-chaining and expecting a chain to operate efficiently and smoothly on such a single chainring system. No wonder then that they don’t poo-poo cross-chaining.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 23 Jul 2020, 10:24am

pete75 wrote:Fairly interesting article on cross chaining Campag and Shimano say it's bad but Sram say nothing wrong with it....

they (SRAM) are delusional.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 23 Jul 2020, 11:35am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Navara

Postby Navara » 23 Jul 2020, 11:31am

Could someone from SRAM please explain to me how the above cannot affect the wear and longevity of the components involved?

PH

Postby PH » 23 Jul 2020, 11:34am

Navara wrote:Could someone from SRAM please explain to me...

First, you might need to explain to them what a triple is.

Navara

Postby Navara » 23 Jul 2020, 11:47am

PH wrote:
Navara wrote:Could someone from SRAM please explain to me...

First, you might need to explain to them what a triple is.

Good point.

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 23 Jul 2020, 12:28pm

pete75 wrote:Campag and Shimano say it's bad but Sram say nothing wrong with it.

The be because SRAM do not make triples, either for road or MTB.
I should coco.

bgnukem

Postby bgnukem » 23 Jul 2020, 1:16pm

I can see that slight mis-aligments are maybe less of an issue with a modern bushingless chain design, where the chain rollers bear on the two shoulders formed on the inside of the inner link side plates rather than against a flat bushing, and perhaps the differential load across the chain pins created by running at an angle is smaller for narrower, modern chains than for the older, wider 6/7/8-speed variety, but cross-chaining still feels wrong to me and I use a triple and only 4-5 sprockets with each chainring.

Can't understand the obsession with single chainrings and absurdly large/expensive cassettes, but I guess manufacturers have to keep selling 'new' products regardless of any actual benefit. Is there really much weight saving replacing a small chainring and front mech with a cassette the size of a dinner plate???

fredN4

Postby fredN4 » 23 Jul 2020, 2:10pm

fitted SRAM Red shifters and FD 11 speed, to a recent bike build. According to the SRAM info I read cross chaining is OK because the FD twists slightly when changing rings. Cetainly works for me. I will let you know when it all wears out :wink:

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 23 Jul 2020, 2:20pm

fredN4 wrote:fitted SRAM Red shifters and FD 11 speed, to a recent bike build. According to the SRAM info I read cross chaining is OK because the FD twists slightly when changing rings. Cetainly works for me. I will let you know when it all wears out :wink:

avoiding chain rub on the FD is the least of your worries when cross-chaining

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 23 Jul 2020, 2:35pm

Vantage wrote:More wear on their parts = users buying parts sooner and more frequently = more money for them.

A bit like Connex plotting their chain wear graphs with a non linear scale to make it look as if wear accelerates as the chain gets older. I can't imagine what they have to gain by manipulating people into throwing away their chains prematurely.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

fredN4

Postby fredN4 » 23 Jul 2020, 3:11pm

Brucey wrote:
fredN4 wrote:fitted SRAM Red shifters and FD 11 speed, to a recent bike build. According to the SRAM info I read cross chaining is OK because the FD twists slightly when changing rings. Cetainly works for me. I will let you know when it all wears out :wink:

cheers

gotta say I've been cross chaining for donkeys on double FDs, Campag mostly, and Shimano. Cant say I am down the shop every year or so having to buy new parts, if ever.

pwa

Postby pwa » 23 Jul 2020, 3:42pm

fredN4 wrote:
Brucey wrote:

cheers

gotta say I've been cross chaining for donkeys on double FDs, Campag mostly, and Shimano. Cant say I am down the shop every year or so having to buy new parts, if ever.

It is supposed to reduce your efficiency though. More of your effort goes into overcoming friction in the drivetrain and less makes it through to actually pushing you forward. So it is still best avoided if you can.

Cyclewala

Postby Cyclewala » 23 Jul 2020, 4:28pm

peetee wrote:SRAM rely heavily on marketing 1x systems with groups offering up to 12 sprockets. There is little difference between cross-chaining and expecting a chain to operate efficiently and smoothly on such a single chainring system. No wonder then that they don’t poo-poo cross-chaining.

I think this explains SRAM's motivation quite well.