ARTHRITIS - ADVICE ON TYPE OF BIKE

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rosalee1979

ARTHRITIS - ADVICE ON TYPE OF BIKE

Postby rosalee1979 » 29 Jul 2020, 9:05am

Hi everyone,
Newbie here. I have a real problem finding a brand of bike that would suit me best in my current circumstances. I am 68 with quite bad arthritis of the hip, I am 5' 2" and live in 1st floor flat. I live in Edinburgh - very hilly. I need a step-through bike, suitable for my height and sufficiently light-weight that I can carry it up the stairs to my flat (cant lock downstairs due to very real threat of bike theft). I also need gears to cope with hills. I am desperate to find a suitable type as exercise is difficult for me. Walking any distance can become painful and I do really enjoy cycling. It is recommended for building up muscle around affected joints. I dont want to pay the earth and sadly an e-bike is out of the question just now due to price and weight - maybe in the future. Can anyone help??

Greystoke

Re: ARTHRITIS - ADVICE ON TYPE OF BIKE

Postby Greystoke » 29 Jul 2020, 9:48am

Have you considered a folding bike? Easier to carry up stairs, small wheels usually means lower gears for hills at the expense of top speed and they're usually step thru frames.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 29 Jul 2020, 10:01am

I use a Brompton and live in a third floor apartment. It is step-thru, easy (as easy as any bike ever gets, that is) to carry, although it is easiest to carry unfolded. As for gearing, you can adapt the arrangements to suit your needs fairly readily - my own Brompton was geared slightly low to accomodate Bristol's own hills, before it was adapted to electric.
Kinetics, over in Glasgow, are Brompton-mad - have a chat with them.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 29 Jul 2020, 10:11am

I agree about a folding bike as it answers all your needs, except for price. Bromptons are expensive (I too have one). Nonetheless a good investment and maybe you can get on credit.

One great advantage of a folding bike is that you can take on buses (presumably free for you) and trains, without any hassles so you can get out for rural and possibly flatter riding.

Stradageek

Postby Stradageek » 29 Jul 2020, 10:28am

I'd agree a small folding bike is the best option.

For my wife, with similar issues, I bought a very old 3-speed folder and changed the rear sprocket for the largest I could find to bring the gears down.

This is pretty much what I bought, try and find a model with alloy wheels to reduce the weight and aid braking in the wet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Purple-Unive ... Swp~dfHXEQ

the bigger rear sprocket can be found here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sturmey-Arch ... SwGWNUU6lL

I paid £20 for my bike and £2.50 for the sprocket and my wife has ridden the bike every day for 5 years, she loves it :D

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 29 Jul 2020, 10:42am

You could try a cheap Argos folding bike to see if it works for you?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8887328 ... kes:2:68:1

Before spending £1k on something more serious?

Just a thought

Cheers James

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Jul 2020, 10:50am

Invest some time visiting cycle shops, taking test rides, weighing cycles
Weight is one thing, a machine that is easy to hold and carry is another
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

rosalee1979

Postby rosalee1979 » 3 Aug 2020, 12:47pm

Thank you everyone that responded. I am just biding my time now mulling over options. Happy Cycling everyone

nosmarbaj

Postby nosmarbaj » 3 Aug 2020, 5:04pm

Just some thoughts ...
The problem with folders is that they are pretty heavy (except perhaps for some very expensive ones). A full size bike with a step-through frame will likely be a bit lighter, but more awkwardly shaped for carrying upstairs.
You say you can't leave the bike at ground level because of the risk of theft. An old "shopper" style bike (small wheels and a step through frame), which may or may not fold, would be uncool enough to be unattractive to most bike thieves, and wouldn't cost a fortune to replace if it did get stolen - e.g. as in Stradageek's link above. Would it be possible to leave it in a covered ground-floor location, with a robust lock? (Obviously you know the area you live in and I don't, so this might not work for you.)