Difference between men’s and women’s bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mike_GMT80

Difference between men’s and women’s bike

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

I’m looking to get a new bike for approx £750 with my cycle to work voucher...am limited to Evans and decathlon and some smaller independents. I’m sick of nothing being available but may have found a suitable bike....one catch, it’s the women’s version. Is there much difference between the men’s and women’s version of the same model? I spoke to decathlon and they said the only difference is the handle bars, brake lever position and saddle. Is this true. Looking at triban RC520 disk road bike.

Thoughts appreciated please.

Thanks
Mike

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Jdsk

Re: Difference between men’s and women’s bike

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It might flex a bit more than a mans bike, but might be just as good

Is the demand for womens cycles less in relation to supply, one wonders

I should be inclined to try it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Jdsk wrote:Frame sizes and crank lengths aren't the same on S, M, L etc:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/womens-trib ... 75808.html
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html

Jonathan

Thanks, but what does this mean in practise. Why would the frame size of the men’s be a better fit for me than a women’s if both bikes are aimed for a 175cm height body.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:It might flex a bit more than a mans bike, but might be just as good

Do the frames differ?

Jonathan
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Jdsk wrote:Frame sizes and crank lengths aren't the same on S, M, L etc:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/womens-trib ... 75808.html
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html

Jonathan

Thanks, but what does this mean in practise. Why would the frame size of the men’s be a better fit for me than a women’s if both bikes are aimed for a 175cm height body.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Jdsk wrote:Do the frames differ?

I thought often the only difference was that one is pink/pastel and the other isn’t?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike_GMT80 wrote:Thanks, but what does this mean in practise. Why would the frame size of the men’s be a better fit for me than a women’s if both bikes are aimed for a 175cm height body.

I wouldn't assume that it would be better. Is there a frame size and crank length combination that suits you?

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Mike_GMT80 wrote:Thanks, but what does this mean in practise. Why would the frame size of the men’s be a better fit for me than a women’s if both bikes are aimed for a 175cm height body.

Supposedly women have proportionally longer legs than men. However, there is variation between individuals.
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Jdsk wrote:

I wouldn't assume that it would be better. Is there a frame size and crank length combination that suits you?

Jonathan

I’m not assuming it will be better, just wondering why a women’s bike is better for women and a men’s bike better for men.

I’m 175cm tall so going for a M size frame. As for crank length, I’m new to cycling so have no basis for determining what suits me. I note M men’s version has a crank length of 172.5cm, versus 170cm for the women’s equivalent model. How will I feel this difference when riding. How will I know if the longer crank will suit me.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

2.5 mm difference, not significant
Not cm :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:2.5 mm difference, not significant
Not cm :wink:

Of course mm, thanks!!
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

So being 175cm I am on the lower end of the Medium frame for the men’s bike. There is no size guide for the women’s version so safe to also go for medium too? If I were then frame And fork is the same on both men’s and women’s...difference then are crank, stem and handle bars are smaller and equivalent to the small men’s model. Given that I am just at the bottom of the medium size frame in terms of height the smaller crank, stem and handle bars might actually be ok?? Obviously the women’s seat is different too.
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Also, why has this automatically been posted on the footer of my first post??

“I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels“

Cheers
Mike
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike_GMT80 wrote:As for crank length, I’m new to cycling so have no basis for determining what suits me. I note M men’s version has a crank length of 172.5cm, versus 170cm for the women’s equivalent model. How will I feel this difference when riding. How will I know if the longer crank will suit me.

There's enormous debate about crank lengths.

Do you have the opportunity to sit on this before you buy it?

Jonathan