Anysize elastic band made from inner tube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hoogerbooger

Re: Anysize elastic band made from inner tube

Post by hoogerbooger »

Not strictly used as a band, but of the million uses of dead inner tubes I recommend their use in packing bikes in bike bags with both wheels off:

Position semi deflated tyres so they coincide with frame or fork and then secure in place with figure of 8 type knots using inner tube so that a section of tube is separating. When the bag is squeezed by other luggage on plane, bus etc, it provides a bit of helpful give and scratch protection.

Oh yes, use pipe lagging on the frame tubes as well
old fangled
mjr

Post by mjr »

DevonDamo wrote:I've heard reports of them breaking, but I'm assuming that's a cheapo tube being used, as I've never had any problems.

Nope. Continental, Schwalbe and Vavert branded tubes. They really do split far more easily than real rubber bands.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I've been using cut up inner tubes as lacky bands for over 40 years ..... motorcycle inner tubes ..not cycle ones .... they fail ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mjr wrote:
DevonDamo wrote:Nope. Continental, Schwalbe and Vavert branded tubes. They really do split far more easily than real rubber bands.

The breaking strain is directly proportionate to the width. So you cut them as wide as you need. After that, you simply sit back and watch any ill-advised fellow divers lose their expensive and/or safety-critical kit when their rubber bands become fatally brittle over weeks rather than decades.