CO2 inflators

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
danfoto

CO2 inflators

Postby danfoto » 31 Jul 2020, 1:19pm

Is there such a thing as a CO2 inflator which can be relied upon to work with both Schraeder and Woods valves?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Jdsk

Re: CO2 inflators

Postby Jdsk » 31 Jul 2020, 1:26pm

The thread on Woods valves is the same as that on Presta valves. Is there anything about CO2 inflators that means that they have different requirements?

Jonathan

danfoto

Postby danfoto » 31 Jul 2020, 1:28pm

Jdsk wrote:The thread on Woods valves is the same as that on Presta valves. Is there anything about CO2 inflators that means that they have different requirements?

I have no idea. That's what I was wondering about ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 31 Jul 2020, 1:40pm

a genuine problem is making a proper gas-tight seal onto woods valves at all; there are sufficient variations in detailed design that very many connectors for woods are not 100% reliable.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

danfoto

Postby danfoto » 31 Jul 2020, 1:43pm

Brucey wrote:a genuine problem is making a proper gas-tight seal onto woods valves at all; there are sufficient variations in detailed design that very many connectors for woods are not 100% reliable.

Much obliged, Brucey. That's very useful to know.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Jul 2020, 3:22pm

Not tried mine on Woods, but I can't remember seeing a Woods valve on a bike for Donkey's Years.
My Innovations Air Chuck works perfectly well on Schrader and on Presta, but better with Presta perhaps. Push-on, not threaded.

The1968 MK1 RSW16 we had ...... now at the National Cycling Museum ........ has Schrader.
The 1971 Mk1 Raleigh Chopper I had, also had Schrader.
Mick F. Cornwall

danfoto

Postby danfoto » 31 Jul 2020, 3:29pm

Mick F wrote:... I can't remember seeing a Woods valve on a bike for Donkey's Years.

Me neither on a UK-market bike, but AFAIK just about every ordinary everyday bike sur le continent uses 'em. Certainly the Workcycles FR8 I had some years ago now had Woods, as did the Christiania trike, and the Batavus pedelec I now have on order comes in with them too. TBH I much prefer Schraders, but I'd rather have Woods than Prestas any day.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 Jul 2020, 4:51pm

Nice to know Woods are still alive and kicking, but Schrader are an abomination for bicycles IMHO.
Woods or Presta please for bikes. Preference of mine is for Presta.

Schrader is for cars, vans and lorries ........ where the inflation system has high volume and flow, with the right equipment at a petrol station forecourt.

Do :shock: NOT :shock: inflate a Schrader bike tyre at a petrol station forecourt.
Dangerous in the extreme.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 31 Jul 2020, 8:29pm

Could it kill you Mick F?

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 31 Jul 2020, 8:38pm

As you can get S to Pand P to S converters I wonder if there was such a thing that would go onto a Woods valve? That might deal with the dodgy connection under some control and the CO2 adaptor could then be screwed to a more teliable valve.

Marc

Postby Marc » 1 Aug 2020, 8:12am

Mick F wrote:Nice to know Woods are still alive and kicking, but Schrader are an abomination for bicycles IMHO.
Woods or Presta please for bikes. Preference of mine is for Presta.

Schrader is for cars, vans and lorries ........ where the inflation system has high volume and flow, with the right equipment at a petrol station forecourt.

Schrader valves are used for aircraft tires as well (I'll wager a guess, that they even used them for the Space Shuttle). :wink:

I have a simple preference: Whats good enough for Airbus, is good enough for my cycles. :lol:

Woods/Dunlop valves are the vastly inferior alternative to Presta or Schrader, that don't even allow to check the tire pressure... :roll:

Mick F wrote:Do :shock: NOT :shock: inflate a Schrader bike tyre at a petrol station forecourt.
Dangerous in the extreme.

Hogwash! For decades, I use to inflate my bicycle tires at the gas station and I never had any problems. Even the "automatic" tire inflating stations are sensitive enough to inflate a bicycle tire to less than 2.0bars.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 1 Aug 2020, 8:36am

Marc wrote:For decades, I use to inflate my bicycle tires at the gas station and I never had any problems. Even the "automatic" tire inflating stations are sensitive enough to inflate a bicycle tire to less than 2.0bars.

Yes. I'm aware of the risk. But it is possible to use them safely. So I carry an adaptor.

Jonathan

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Aug 2020, 9:00am

Marc wrote:Hogwash! For decades, I use to inflate my bicycle tires at the gas station and I never had any problems.
The people who have been seriously injured would suggest it's not hogwash at all.

One thing to consider, is that station forecourt air supplies are treated very badly by some users and often chucked down on the concrete. I've seen it many many times so it can't be known if the one you use is defective. Filling a big car tyre is very different to filling a narrow bike tyre.

Also, some people want 100psi in their tyres, and using a forecourt inflator will do it in less than a second. Easy therefore to imagine an explosion.

Do NOT use them for bikes ........... or even inflatable dinghies as they've been known to explode too.

Not hogwash at all.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Aug 2020, 9:02am

PS.
I check my tyre pressures with the pump dial.
No need for a pressure gauge.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 1 Aug 2020, 1:23pm

Years ago I was on a site and a lorry had a puncture, a fitter came out to put a new tyre on, blowing it up without putting the wheel in a cage, it exploded in his face and killed him!
Think they've changed the design of the wheel rims now, but still a risky job!