Upgrade on gear shifters help!!!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Charco123

Upgrade on gear shifters help!!!

Postby Charco123 » 1 Aug 2020, 12:11am

Hey guys hopes alls well.

I am looking upgrading my gfs gear shifters on her bike she has a women’s giant expression and I believe it is a 2007. Had a real good look online and found a old catalogue in a different language but it looks the same. Il attach a few pics. I just want to replace the crappy grip shifters for something newer and replace the cables also if someone could advise me what I need to get ie description or links would be greatly appreciated. Never bought parts for a bike before so kind of lost where to start looking if I’m honest. Image
F0F327A0-79B1-4CF0-87D1-1A66B35CA263.jpg
2F45EB70-9251-4FAB-9C44-F5E3257C4AF5.jpg
1E2E123E-0340-477B-8F58-8C86E9E26526.jpg
34872482-E7A1-4355-ADA2-7A1D2C0B092F.jpg
IMG_0832.JPG

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

rjb

Re: Upgrade on gear shifters help!!!

Postby rjb » 1 Aug 2020, 7:29am

Before you start throwing money at the bike, have you tried lubeing the cables and gear shifter. They can dry up over time and get sticky making shifting difficult. Spray some aerosol lube into the shifter and cable and then reappraise whether you think you need to change them. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Charco123

Postby Charco123 » 1 Aug 2020, 11:31am

rjb wrote:Before you start throwing money at the bike, have you tried lubeing the cables and gear shifter. They can dry up over time and get sticky making shifting difficult. Spray some aerosol lube into the shifter and cable and then reappraise whether you think you need to change them. :wink:

Cheers bud, I haven’t. But I defiantly want to change the grip shifters. They are just nasty I found these last night which match the 3 - 6 that’s already on the current shifters. I’m assuming these will be ok then I have to either use excising cable or new cable and cut when adjusting? Sorry if these questions are on the dumb side I haven’t done a job like this before
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Aug 2020, 1:07pm

given that the cables are the likely source of problems, I'd suggest that you buy new cables anyway.

The 'nasty' gripshifts are one of the most simple, lightweight and reliable bike parts you can buy. Some would suggest that you are better off spending your money on a new (unworn) chain and sprockets, gear cables, not to mention something better than the extant rear derailleur which is as cheap as they come.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gazza_d

Postby gazza_d » 1 Aug 2020, 1:34pm

Is there an actual problem with the gears?
Or do you just not like grip shifts?
As brucey says gripshifts are light, very simple and reliable. A lot more so than what you are proposing.
I would remove old cables. Clean and lubricate chain and changers then fit a decent set of new cables. Put a little dab of grease on the inner as you slide it through the outer.

Charco123

Postby Charco123 » 1 Aug 2020, 1:43pm

Brucey wrote:given that the cables are the likely source of problems, I'd suggest that you buy new cables anyway.

The 'nasty' gripshifts are one of the most simple, lightweight and reliable bike parts you can buy. Some would suggest that you are better off spending your money on a new (unworn) chain and sprockets, gear cables, not to mention something better than the extant rear derailleur which is as cheap as they come.

cheers

Cheers Bruce. Well when I have had a go on her bike if you want to change through the sprockets you don’t just twist and they change you have to twist and hold. No big deal but when you tired you just want the bloody thing to change . I do remember having the grip shifters when I was a kid and I wasn’t keen on them back then. Worth noting on the cables improving it though. Do you recommend I change the cables first and go from there. I’m not liking the twisting motion when cycling either I much prefers the flick of a lever to pass through gears. It’s a nicer motion imo. All room for thought

Charco123

Postby Charco123 » 1 Aug 2020, 1:45pm

gazza_d wrote:Is there an actual problem with the gears?
Or do you just not like grip shifts?
As brucey says gripshifts are light, very simple and reliable. A lot more so than what you are proposing.
I would remove old cables. Clean and lubricate chain and changers then fit a decent set of new cables. Put a little dab of grease on the inner as you slide it through the outer.

Cheers gaz yeah they are just quiet slow on changing and I would like to make the bike a nicer bike to ride and me and my gf both are not keen on them and prefer something more modern. If it can be done cheaply enough

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Aug 2020, 2:04pm

I prefer shift levers to gripshifts in a lot of ways too, but the shifts themselves are usually OK; the slow shifts could well be worn chain/sprockets, the RD and/or the cables, rather than the shifters. In fact it is arguably least likely to be the shifters at fault.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charco123

Postby Charco123 » 1 Aug 2020, 3:06pm

Brucey wrote:I prefer shift levers to gripshifts in a lot of ways too, but the shifts themselves are usually OK; the slow shifts could well be worn chain/sprockets, the RD and/or the cables, rather than the shifters. In fact it is arguably least likely to be the shifters at fault.

cheers

Cheers Bruce, if I get cables but still end up wanting new shifters will I end up with a duplicate pair of cables? As from what I see when buying new shifter it looks like they came with new cables anyway. I don’t want to buy new cables then buy new shifters anyway that come with cables. I’ll attach a pic of the ones I’m looking at that seem cheap enough. Will they be ok or am I wrong in thinking I can use these? Also I can see rust on the spring on the derailleur is this something that can be fixed or serviced. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it
IMG_0839.JPG

mmcnay

Postby mmcnay » 1 Aug 2020, 4:25pm

My wife has a cheap commuter she got from her aunt - 21 speed twist grip shifters. It wasn't running very well. I'd been meaning to sort it for ages, but never got round to it. At the start of the lockdown, I gave it a good scrub. Then I changed cassette, chain, brake blocks - and all the cables. About £35 it cost. And a couple of hours work.

She says it is now running lovely.

Charco123

Postby Charco123 » 1 Aug 2020, 9:10pm

mmcnay wrote:My wife has a cheap commuter she got from her aunt - 21 speed twist grip shifters. It wasn't running very well. I'd been meaning to sort it for ages, but never got round to it. At the start of the lockdown, I gave it a good scrub. Then I changed cassette, chain, brake blocks - and all the cables. About £35 it cost. And a couple of hours work.

She says it is now running lovely.

Hi mate I actually took the gfs bike out tonight lol! Done 9 miles in the end most of them was me faffing around with the gears getting off looking at it! And I gota say I was happily suprised it’s not a bad bike at all! After having another go I’m going to stick with the grip shifters just going to get it on the repair stand change the cables grips and tyres! Actually enjoyed riding it! Il attach a pic of it in all its glory
IMG_0843.JPG