Sora and Alivio - testing the limits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Sora and Alivio - testing the limits

Post by mikeymo »

MrCJF wrote:
the snail wrote:
MrCJF wrote:Hi all. This is my first post.

(my 3x9 is currently 50/39/30 with 11-32).

Another option may be to swap the inner ring for e.g. 26T, which is what I did on my similar 105 triple.

Would that exceed the capacity of the Sora front mech? I thought a 22 tooth range would be pusing it, I've not come across anyone having a 24 tooth range. But as Cyckelgalen says, Shimano probably quote conservative tolerances.

I ran 48-38-24 with a Sora (R3030) front mech just fine. It's meant to have a 20 tooth capacity, I think.

At the moment it's 48-38-26 with an Ultegra 6503, which is also fine, right on the capacity of the FD. But I ran it with the 24 inner for a while too.

I'm also running 11-34 with a Sora rear derailleur. So the bike has had at various stages 47 teeth difference, with a rear derailleur that is quoted as only having a capacity of 43. My chain is actually the same length as when I bought it and could do with shortening - small to small has some rubbing as the cage folds too far back. But that's just on the stand, I never actually ride like that. I'll shorten it when I can be bothered to buy/borrow a chain tool.

So yes, my experience is that Shimano specs are conservative.

Cheers.
MrCJF

Re: Sora and Alivio - testing the limits

Post by MrCJF »

It occurred to me while riding the new set up recently that the range on the middle ring is now a fairly close match for the small ring on the original set up.

That is I replaced 34 / 11-30 (3.1 to 1.1 wheel revs per pedal turn) with a 39 / 12-36 (3.25 to 1.1).

So the new small ring is a big extension at the bottom of the range.