Skewer for Turbo Trainer doesn't quite fit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Annoying Twit

Skewer for Turbo Trainer doesn't quite fit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Hi all.

I just bought a Turbo Trainer. Just a cheap lifeline one from Wiggle, but the reviews were reasonable. This one: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-tt-02-fluid-trainer

One thing I've noticed: The skewer doesn't seem to tighten up enough to hold the wheel firmly. Usually when I fit a skewer I tighten it enough to get the wheel just a bit loose, so that when I flip the quick release, it tightens up nicely. This isn't happening with the skewer that came with the trainer. It stops being able to screw tighten before it's in a position where the QR lever will tighten the wheel.

The possibilities are that the skewer is the wrong size. But, I have a fairly standard wheel on the back of my bike so I think that's unlikely. Or, I just need to use a bit of force when tightening the skewer to get past a tight bit. Or, the skewer is faulty.

How do I find out which is most likely to be the case?

Also, I note that with turbo trainers that the frame of the bike flexes when it is being used. Will this continual movement have any long term effects on an aluminium frame?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Skewer for Turbo Trainer doesn't quite fit

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe you could use one or more washers
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Photo of the skewer showing both ends, please.

Jonathan
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

That’s a fairly typical issue with a skewered roller type turbo. As long as the wheel isn’t flapping it’s fine, tighten it as far as it will go. As you’ve ( very astutely) noticed, the bike is pinned firmly on a turbo such as this. It’s not great news for the frame, as you’ll be stressing it in a way the frame wasn’t designed for. However, you’d have to be going some ( or a very heavy rider ) to cause failure stresses outside of the design envelope of the frame, on a turbo. There are turbos that are designed to rock from side to side, and these are better, regarding ‘odd stresses’.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Annoying Twit wrote:….One thing I've noticed: The skewer doesn't seem to tighten up enough to hold the wheel firmly. Usually when I fit a skewer I tighten it enough to get the wheel just a bit loose, so that when I flip the quick release, it tightens up nicely. This isn't happening with the skewer that came with the trainer. It stops being able to screw tighten before it's in a position where the QR lever will tighten the wheel.....

you could try adding a washer between the QR and the frame and seeing if that makes any difference...?

Long term use of a bike on a turbo is potentially destructive; as well as odd stresses, sweat causes corrosion like it doesn't when you are riding the bike on the roads. It sounds like an innocent gadget but if you really get into it, it is probably best to use a 'disposable' frame on the turbo; it doesn't need to be a whole bike, just rear wheel and gears need to work.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Thanks all. I went out to get a photo of the Skewer as requested by Jonathan. When I removed the skewer I could see that it had absolutely loads of thread for adjustment. By applying a reasonable amount of force, the nut thing started going past the area where it was previously sticking with no problem. (I'd only tried that before with the skewer in the wheel and couldn't see what was happening.) I think there was some gunge stuck in the threads or something as simple as that.

It now fits properly. Apologies for asking a question that, in hindsight, I could just fix myself.

I googled the frame flex issue a bit, and many people claim that frames breaking due to turbo trainer flex is a myth. I found one person who believed that it had happened to him. But, due to the amount my fitness has dropped and how much weight I've put on since lockdown started, I think I'll risk the frame. It's only a cheap one, and if it breaks I'll look into the cheaper Planet X full carbon ones. EDIT: This is compatible with other advice I've received in later posts.

The whole bike cost £340. So, I'm not sure what would be a like for like replacement frame, but II don't think it's going to be the end of the world price wise. EDIT: Maybe this would be like for like: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-rd-01- ... e-frameset I'm at an age when I want to keep my fitness up as it will likely be harder for me to regain it if I get completely unfit.

I do have a spare frame in my garage that I meant to rebuild but never got around to. Hmm.... Would be easier if I don't need to fit brakes.

Thanks for the answers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Annoying Twit wrote:….I googled the frame flex issue a bit, and many people claim that frames breaking due to turbo trainer flex is a myth...

so much of a 'myth' that several bike manufacturers will void their warranty if the frame is used on a home trainer.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~