Hewitt Chiltern, Cheviot, et al

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Hewitt Chiltern, Cheviot, et al

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:When I found it the name printed on it made me think it might be the Hewitt.

I'm pretty sure the dimensions are the Cheviot, it's just the drawing they've put them against isn't. That should be seen as a diagram to indicate what the measurements refer to rather than a representation of the bike itself.

aha, maybe I misunderstood colin's post.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:Since it is not a million miles from a Hewitt I might be interested in a frame from whoever it is.

Have you done a comparison between the Cheviot and the Spa Tourer?
I haven't, but I recall CJ's review of the latter saying the differences were minor and all in the right direction (Or words to that effect) he ought to know having replaced one with the other (Well he ought to know anyway, but he obviously rated both...)
It's an indication of how well this bike compared to the competition when it launched, that it was reviewed twice (In Cycle and Cycling Plus) and both reviewers bought one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:Since it is not a million miles from a Hewitt I might be interested in a frame from whoever it is.

Have you done a comparison between the Cheviot and the Spa Tourer?
I haven't, but I recall CJ's review of the latter saying the differences were minor and all in the right direction (Or words to that effect) he ought to know having replaced one with the other (Well he ought to know anyway, but he obviously rated both...)
It's an indication of how well this bike compared to the competition when it launched, that it was reviewed twice (In Cycle and Cycling Plus) and both reviewers bought one.

No i haven't done a comparison ph, am not that technical, but thanks for the info.
Would be interested in the changes in the right direction you refer to.
Open honest question.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:No i haven't done a comparison ph, am not that technical, but thanks for the info.
Open honest question.

I was quoting CJ's review, but as I'm also interested I've just had a look, the reviews are still linked from the Spa website. It was the Ti Tourer CJ was reviewing, though the geometry is I believe the same as the steel. He doesn't say much more than I repeated
The ride of this bike is very much like the Hewitt Cheviot SE that I reviewed in 2003 – and liked so much I bought it. The geometry is similar too, with differences all in the right directions

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/info/TiTourerreview.pdf
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Although it isn't me, I'm sure there are people who can find CJ's 2003 review of the Hewitt. CJ will have made his own measurements as he has in the Spa bike review.
I used to have some dimensions for the Autostrada frames, but I have moved house and got a new computer in the interim, and I'm damned if I can find anything. I have this nagging feeling that the bikes' geometry changed to some extent during their long production run.
PH

Post by PH »

531colin wrote:Although it isn't me, I'm sure there are people who can find CJ's 2003 review of the Hewitt. CJ will have made his own measurements as he has in the Spa bike review.

CJ's Hewitt Cheviot SE review, is on page 2 of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140039&start=15#p1518197
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:No i haven't done a comparison ph, am not that technical, but thanks for the info.
Open honest question.

I was quoting CJ's review, but as I'm also interested I've just had a look, the reviews are still linked from the Spa website. It was the Ti Tourer CJ was reviewing, though the geometry is I believe the same as the steel. He doesn't say much more than I repeated
The ride of this bike is very much like the Hewitt Cheviot SE that I reviewed in 2003 – and liked so much I bought it. The geometry is similar too, with differences all in the right directions

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/info/TiTourerreview.pdf

thanks ph
Sweep
standardmark

Post by standardmark »

Hello!
I was just looking for info to freshen up my knowledge, amazingly found this discussion in 2020!!

One thing led to another a couple of years ago and I bought the last Spa cycles 58cm frameset. Originally considering a cheap Planet X Brevet in sale as a cheap commuter. I found discussions like this and bought the 631 Audax. Problem is it's brief has shifted to a nice day bike! :D

I'm not really a road rider, more MTB and urban stuff and once commuter, so I've not got around to building it yet with other projects and life stuff in the way. I'd hope to have casual summer short blasts out on it...

I'm not sure if I'd be better off with a trendy gravel bike, I'm not used to centre pull calipers (or drops!), more experience with Canti and V brakes so that was the thing missing off the spec for me... got some long reach Tektro to fit. Will post a pic later if people are interested.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

My Cheviot rode fine unloaded but was awful with camping gear on the back, and almost impossible to ride out of the saddle. Poor geometry for a tourer, with too much lean steer.

Note that Chris Juden did not test it loaded!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

My Pearson Compass, which is the same frame rebadged, is excellent both unloaded and fully loaded at the back: my perception was that it was fine.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
PH

Post by PH »

rogerzilla wrote:My Cheviot rode fine unloaded but was awful with camping gear on the back, and almost impossible to ride out of the saddle. Poor geometry for a tourer, with too much lean steer.

I've seen the photos - if ever there was a load crying out to be spread between four panniers that was it!
But yes, it's not as solid and stiff a tourer as some, which will suit some more than others.
Note that Chris Juden did not test it loaded!

Well he bought one and used it for many years. I expect he had ample time to test it's load carrying.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I used to have a Thorn Nomad, which had the neutral steering you'd expect on an expedition tourer. I didn't like the 26" wheels or the over-quick steering when unloaded, but it really did work when loaded up.
PH

Post by PH »

rogerzilla wrote: I didn't like the 26" wheels or the over-quick steering when unloaded, but it really did work when loaded up.

Also my experience on a Thorn Raven with similar geometry. IMO the Cheviot and other similar tourers get the compromise about right, if I kept a bike exclusively for touring it probably wouldn't be it.
standardmark

Post by standardmark »

Spa Audax sm.jpg

SpaCycles Audax sm.jpg

There we go, Shimano 501 wheels, 28mm Gatorskins, 9 speed mix of Shimano 105/ Tiagra, SLX/XT or Ultegra mech and cassette. probably no luggage.
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

That sounds like a very pretty (and comfy) bike. I look forward to seeing the final build :)