Wheel building

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ian peacock

Wheel building

Postby ian peacock » 12 Aug 2020, 12:57pm

I have a pair of Ambrosia "Balance" rims that I am going to build onto campag hubs to replace the worn out Mavic Open Pro's. The new rims are shallow aero, being roughly triagular in section. Unlike every other rim I have used, these do not have reinforced eyelets, so I am a bit concerned about bringing the spokes up to tension. Do you have any thoughts?

freeflow

Re: Wheel building

Postby freeflow » 12 Aug 2020, 1:25pm

The rims should take spokes without issue. If not they would be plastered with warning stickers. If you have serious concerns use a nipple washer (assuming there is room for one).

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Aug 2020, 2:05pm

Nae worries;

a few eyeletless rims need special washers inside the rim to allow the nipples to seat properly. Ambrosio 'balance' is not one such.

It reminds me very strongly of the original Mavic CXP22 rim, before they changed it to CXP-elite and ruined it by machining most of the brake track away in the process.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hamster

Postby hamster » 12 Aug 2020, 2:16pm

I run Ambrosio Balance on my winter bike - no problem at all. One of the rear drive side spoke holes has started to crack (Campag hub so heavy dish) but the cracking hasn't spread in 4 years and the wheel stays true. I check it regularly, I guess it's 20 years old now.

I thoroughly recommend them.

ian peacock

Postby ian peacock » 12 Aug 2020, 4:25pm

Thanks All, that's really helpful. I shall get on with the building

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Aug 2020, 4:36pm

to mitigate the risk of DS spoke hole cracking, it mightn't be a bad idea to use a washer beneath those nipples. This usually requires another 1-1.5mm spoke length and sometimes +2mm on those nipples too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 12 Aug 2020, 6:32pm

hamster wrote:I run Ambrosio Balance on my winter bike - no problem at all. One of the rear drive side spoke holes has started to crack (Campag hub so heavy dish) but the cracking hasn't spread in 4 years and the wheel stays true. I check it regularly, I guess it's 20 years old now.

Has there been any mucking around with them of late as per brucey's sorry tale of the CXP22?
I liked CXP22s, managed to get some NOS ones to build up into a wheel when I have time, but always looking for alternatives.
Sweep

hamster

Postby hamster » 12 Aug 2020, 10:38pm

Sweep wrote:
hamster wrote:I run Ambrosio Balance on my winter bike - no problem at all. One of the rear drive side spoke holes has started to crack (Campag hub so heavy dish) but the cracking hasn't spread in 4 years and the wheel stays true. I check it regularly, I guess it's 20 years old now.

Has there been any mucking around with them of late as per brucey's sorry tale of the CXP22?
I liked CXP22s, managed to get some NOS ones to build up into a wheel when I have time, but always looking for alternatives.

Interesting question, I'll have a look as I bought a modern production Balance rim to rebuild the wheel before I decided to run it to destruction.

hamster

Postby hamster » 18 Aug 2020, 8:30am

Measured both with an Iwanson gauge - NOS old Balance rim and a new one. Both came up at 1.3-1.4mm wall thickness.
The new rim features a wear indicator line.