Magura brake experts?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Emmett2018

Magura brake experts?

Post by Emmett2018 »

Hi, I've got Magura sports on my Whyte bike that aren't standard. I cannot find the screw to tighten the pads (the one I thought it does on top does nothing) and I also twisted off a torx screw on the bottom. So basically balls'd it up. Hardly any guides online. Just wondering if someone else has experience with them, I'd like the rear to be sharper and firmer than it is. Thanks
Brucey

Re: Magura brake experts?

Post by Brucey »

it is a hydraulic brake, probably just needs a bleed. Magura use plenty of plastic screws in their bleed ports etc so you need to be super careful that you know what you are doing if you want to avoid collateral damage.

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/guides/how-to-bleed-magura-disc-brakes#

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Emmett2018

Post by Emmett2018 »

Thanks for the reply, yes hydraulic brakes. As the bikes not too old it does say to only bleed after fixing an air leak which I find strange? Just frustrated I can't do a simple task like tighten the brakes.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Are these hydrostop rim brakes or discs?

The rim brakes set pad distance with an adjuster on the lever - either the twirly red knob or a small grub screw at the back of the lever blade.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Do you mean magura MT sport brakes? Relatively modern? These do not need the pads 'tightening' as like most hydro discs the pistons self adjust as the pads wear. Your rear caliper might feel less positive than the front because there is a longer length of unbraided hose going to it, and some pressure will be lost that way. Also if the pads are not completely parallel to the rotor the brake can feel spongy. This could be due to incorrect setup and/or the caliper mount on the frame being slightly miss aligned or wonky. If the latter is the case it will help to get the disc mounts faced. There is no bite point adjustment for these brakes but you could try adjusting the lever reach so that the levers are further from the bars. It won't make the brake feel any less spongy but will get you a bit more lever travel to play with. It could also be the case that the brake hasn't been bled properly from new.