Removing headset cups and headbadge

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
printedland

Removing headset cups and headbadge

Post by printedland »

A spot of advice please:

Re-spraying a frame. How does one remove the top and bottom headset cups, and the headset race from the fork crown? They seem to be push-fit, but don't budge at all. Any top tips?

Also, if I do end up having the frame professionally re-sprayed (in case my own bodge job looks awful....), how does one remove (and then re-fit afterwards) the Raleigh head badge? It looks like it has 2 rivets into the head tube.

Thanks!
Brucey

Re: Removing headset cups and headbadge

Post by Brucey »

rivets drilled out and replaced after.

Crown race; there is a special tool but you can often start the race moving using by using a Stanley knife blade (or an old woodworking chisel) as a wedge .

cups in the head tube can be shifted using a long brass rod as a drift.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

In the absence of the right tools, which few of us would have, cups can be removed by gentle use of a hammer and drift/rod/screwdriver. Head badge rivets can be drilled out but replacing them may be more difficult than expected. If the frame is to be professionally resprayed I would expect the company to remove and refit the badge and of course any decals you might want or supply.
printedland

Post by printedland »

Brucey wrote:cups in the head tube can be shifted using a long brass rod as a drift.

cheers

Thanks for that. As a matter of interest; is there a special reason why the rod should be brass? Simply because it's softer (and therefore will not mark)?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If you are lucky a bit of hard wood may shift the races. May not :D