Servicing RSP Cadence pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nickp

Servicing RSP Cadence pedals

Postby nickp » 25 Aug 2020, 8:23am

I have a pair of RSP Cadence pedals (alloy not the carbon ones) with a little play in them. When I put a bit of extra pressure on them (standing up say) they both produce an loud knocking sound - or at least I think that's where the noise is coming from ....!

Before I lay into them with a mole wrench and lump hammer, can anyone confirm whether or not they are a serviceable item? They have a very pretty knurled nut holding them together rather than something I can securely get a spanner on.

rjb

Re: Servicing RSP Cadence pedals

Postby rjb » 25 Aug 2020, 9:03pm

You need to obtain the axle removal tool to service them. If it a Shimano compatible with 10 notches the grey shimano tool is a couple of quid. If it has 8 notches the red look tool is needed which isn't as cheap and difficult to obtainLots of videos on u tube showing how to remove the axle to service similar pedals. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 26 Aug 2020, 12:19am

I think it is the shimano tool that is needed

in this review it claims 'ball and roller bearings'

https://raleighaccessories.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/cycling-plus-give-the-rsp-cadence-pedal-4-55/

If so I would expect a tiny deep groove ball bearing (or possibly two) outboard and a cheap roller bearing (the kind with a drawn cup outer) in the inboard position. If so, the bearings won't be expensive or difficult to source. However once this kind of bearing arrangement (which is used in several different pedals) gets worn enough to be noisy the usual thing is that the pedal spindle is toast too; the roller bearing rollers run directly on the axle.

NB the bearing retaining 'hollow bolt' is usually LH threaded on the right pedal and RH threaded on the left pedal.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nickp

Postby nickp » 26 Aug 2020, 9:17am

Thanks folks - much appreciated.
Nick