Spa Tourer Rear Brake Not Releasing Completely

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
puffin

Spa Tourer Rear Brake Not Releasing Completely

Post by puffin »

I have a Spa Tourer. A while back a new rear brake was fitted, and recently I've noticed the left hand pad does not clear the rim completely when the brake is released.

Today I took the brake arm off and noticed there were three holes into which a pin can go to alter the angle the arm is mounted at. The right hand arm was fitted through the first hole, keeping it close to the bike, while the left hand one is fitted through the middle hole. I tried to fit this one into the first hole but there wasn't enough space.

First off, does anyone have thoughts on why the brake pad does not release completely, and second should the two brake arms be mounted through the same hole (ie symetrical)? Is the V brake the right kind of brake for the Spa Tourer?

Any wisdom gratefully received.
Attachments
20200826_102938.jpg
20200826_102919.jpg
Jdsk

Re: Spa Tourer Rear Brake Not Releasing Completely

Post by Jdsk »

With the cable disconnected does the pivot action feel smooth?

And do the bearing surfaces look and feel smooth?

I wouldn't be bothered if it ended up with the tension set at different holes... as long as I knew that the pivot action wasn't sticky on one or both sides.

Jonathan
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jdsk wrote:With the cable disconnected does the pivot action feel smooth?

And do the bearing surfaces look and feel smooth?

I wouldn't be bothered if it ended up with the tension set at different holes... as long as I knew that the pivot action wasn't sticky on one or both sides.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, good questions. The pivot action is smooth with the cables connected and the bearing surfaces are smooth.

Is it possible the cable is sticking? It is buried under the bar tape for the first 10 - 15 cm.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Normally, the brake should be in the middle hole.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

puffin wrote:First off, does anyone have thoughts on why the brake pad does not release completely, and second should the two brake arms be mounted through the same hole (ie symetrical)? Is the V brake the right kind of brake for the Spa Tourer?

Not releasing, with the holes different, suggests spring pressures are not correct. The brakes should spring open using the coiled spring with one end located in the holes in the frame. The brake adjusters (often both sides) are used to balance the brakes so they release equally on both sides.

Whether they are correct or not depends on the brake levers fitted to the bike. Broadly there are two types of lever; those for V-brakes, and those for all other types (single pivot, dual pivot, cantilever), the levers move a different amount of cable when pulled.

If the bike has its original brake levers, then what brakes were fitted from new ? Assuming it was built by Spa, I'd expect it to have been correct when new.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Set the brakes up with both pins in the middle holes. Ensure the pads are touching the rims at the right point, away from the tyre. Give the caliper a few tugs both ways to remove any grit and ensure they're working smoothly. Screw in or unscrew the small sprung screws in the picture. Screwing in the way will bring the pad out and unscrewing will push it in. Work a balance between both sides until the level of movement from both caliper arms is the same. Before doing anything check the wheel is centred in the dropouts.
rjb

Post by rjb »

When the pads start to wear they can sometimes "dive" under the rim causing them to stick on. Adjusting the pad height can cure this but if it has a pronounced lip you may need to trim it off with a knife. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the brakes are set using two different holes in the boss backplate they will only be balanced when one is adjusted to full slack and the other is near full tight. From the look of your brakes the overall tension is likely to be similar to using the middle setting on both arms, but backed off full slack. Probably this simply isn't enough tension for a rear brake unless the cables are in super condition.

As others have suggested use the middle hole for both brake arms and set both the adjusting screws about half-way through the travel. Check the cable/pivots for dragginess, (lube if necessary), the cables for fouling on other things, and the brake blocks for lips; finally balance the brake using the adjusting screws and the job should be a good-un.

cheer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

Nigel wrote:Whether they are correct or not depends on the brake levers fitted to the bike.

Just to repeat what Nigel has said. If this isn't right, you're wasting your time with anything else.
Having said that - I rode with someone who had full V brakes with STI levers, when I gently pointed out they were a mismatch, they said they'd wondered why they were so poor. I saw them a year later, at the same event, they hadn't changed anything and I didn't say anything.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Thanks all, this is all useful stuff. I'll check the brake levers (might post a photo if I can't work it out), I'll check if I can get both arms onto the middle holes...but it seems that the one on the left won't fit....is that possible? Thanks again, I'll get back to report progress. Thanks again.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

puffin wrote:Thanks all, this is all useful stuff. I'll check the brake levers (might post a photo if I can't work it out), I'll check if I can get both arms onto the middle holes...but it seems that the one on the left won't fit....is that possible? Thanks again, I'll get back to report progress. Thanks again.

What do you mean by won't fit? Sometimes it can be a pig unless you take the spring out from the pin on the brake arm (too much tension) or spin the brake block around to clear the seat stay
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

assuming the hole isn't blocked with paint, fighting the spring tension is the other likely thing that hinders the pin going in the hole. The easiest way round this is to turn the brake block 90 degrees in its mounting so that it will clear the stay/fork blade. That way the arm can be fitted without the spring fighting you in any way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

I may be wrong, but looking at the pictures that looks like an Alivio v-brake. The Shimano mini-v's seem to have Shimano printed straight down the arm, and don't have that moulding on the surface.

Are you using this brake with a v brake lever, or with a road STI? If the latter, then you are going to really struggle to get it to release fully as it's designed for far more cable pull than a road brake lever can pull.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm free tomorrow and will start working through your ideas. I really appreciate your help, again many thanks.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you unhook the top of the springs from the brake arms they will move independently. This will make locating them in the middle holes pretty easy and should mean that it's not necessary to turn the brake pads. If the middle hole is blocked for one of the arms, clear it or drill it to size, because normally this is the position to get the most suitable spring tension.