correct size chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tom

correct size chain

Post by Tom »

Good morning all,

Can somebody assist please,

Wishing to fit new chain on my Pashley /Chreswell Foldit cycle, It is single chainring front, Nexus hub 7 speed rear, it has a shram chain at the moment which has been fine.

I have been told that it is a different size chain I/8 or 3/32 " can you advise please

Tom
Brucey

Re: correct size chain

Post by Brucey »

nexus hubs can use either 1/8" or 3/32" chain; it depends what chainring and sprocket are fitted.

modern 3/32" chain will usually be about 7.3mm wide and won't even fit over 1/8" teeth. 1/8" chain will be over 8mm wide and will be a sloppy fit on 3/32" sprockets/chainrings. You can run 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets with an IGH, no problem; often cheaper to buy and slightly heavier than 3/32" chain.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandusud

Re: correct size chain

Post by iandusud »

I replaced the timing chain on our tandem recently. It had been fitted with a 1/8" chain on 3/32" chainrings. I replaced it with a 3/32" chain but it wouldn't fit over the chainrings initially as the chainring teeth had developed a burr which I had to file down. This wouldn't have occurred had it been fitted with a 3/32" chain, or at least not to the same extreme extent.