Wiring up spade connectors - SON 28 hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: Wiring up spade connectors - SON 28 hub

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote:What do you do if you need to take the wheel out?

Disconnect the connectors first.
https://nabendynamo.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Montageanleitung_SON28-SON28disc_EN.pdf

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

The spade connectors are simple enough, but for frequent removal the jack plug style adapter is easier.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/sch ... onnection/

In case it isn't clear, the part on the left attaches to the hub and stays on it when the wheel is removed. The plug part needs soldering to the cable from the light or device and it isn't apparently the easiest job - I got someone who does it for a living to do mine.
I have hubs from SON, Shimano and SP-V, I can't feel any difference in function between them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:The spade connectors are simple enough, but for frequent removal the jack plug style adapter is easier.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/sch ... onnection/

In case it isn't clear, the part on the left attaches to the hub and stays on it when the wheel is removed. The plug part needs soldering to the cable from the light or device and it isn't apparently the easiest job - I got someone who does it for a living to do mine.
I have hubs from SON, Shimano and SP-V, I can't feel any difference in function between them.

Many thanks for that, though the price is completely bonkers for something that is almost integral/just makes it the equivalent of the Shimano product (my cheapo dyno wheel at £30 from decathlon came complete with a connector). One would think that they might make it available more cheaply if bought with a hub.

I'd only have to do the soldering once - to the ewerk cable - i assume it can also be used for that - not just their own coaxial cable coming out if their light?
Sweep
slowster

Post by slowster »

Sweep wrote: this seems to be a problem, unless I have missed something

Why would you need to disconnect the dynamo from the cable at the hub (other than for a puncture)? Are you intending to have cables permanently mounted on the bikes in question? That would not make sense to me, because it would result in the loose connector(s) needing to be secured out of the way of the rotating hub/spokes. Similarly the connector at the other end for the E-Werk would be loose/dangling and vulnerable to damage.

If you are fitting the dynamo wheel to a bike only when needed, moving it from one bike to another when needed, and it is only used to charge an E-Werk, then leave the cable attached to the dynamo. When you fit the wheel to a bike, just coil the cable around the fork leg three or four times (maybe securing it with electrical tape or a cable tie) and run it to your handlebar bag which will presumably hold the E-Werk.

For such use I would prefer the standard crimped spade connectors to any of the other options, including the plastic Shimano connector block. The overwhelming majority of people with Son hubs use the standard connectors, and disconnecting and re-connecting for a puncture is not particularly difficult.
scottg

Post by scottg »

https://www.dyna-snap.com/

Magnetic connectors for your dyno-hub.
Like the mag-safe connectors Apple used for laptops.

For a season, I had the light mounted to the end of the skewer,
using something like a Paul Gino light mount, the version I have
replaces the skewer nut. Used a small helmet light in concert.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Never seen those before. Thanks.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

slowster wrote:
Sweep wrote: this seems to be a problem, unless I have missed something

Why would you need to disconnect the dynamo from the cable at the hub (other than for a puncture)? Are you intending to have cables permanently mounted on the bikes in question? That would not make sense to me, because it would result in the loose connector(s) needing to be secured out of the way of the rotating hub/spokes. Similarly the connector at the other end for the E-Werk would be loose/dangling and vulnerable to damage.

If you are fitting the dynamo wheel to a bike only when needed, moving it from one bike to another when needed, and it is only used to charge an E-Werk, then leave the cable attached to the dynamo. When you fit the wheel to a bike, just coil the cable around the fork leg three or four times (maybe securing it with electrical tape or a cable tie) and run it to your handlebar bag which will presumably hold the E-Werk.

For such use I would prefer the standard crimped spade connectors to any of the other options, including the plastic Shimano connector block. The overwhelming majority of people with Son hubs use the standard connectors, and disconnecting and re-connecting for a puncture is not particularly difficult.

thanks for this slowster - yes I suppose I could keep the final bit of the modular ewerk cabling attached to the wheel and then keep the wheel carefully inside somewhere - I have been removing it from my cheapo experimental shimano hub. The ewerk comes off the bike at the same time as the wheel. I know this might seem a fag (I have to re-remember how I routed the cables) but I prefer to use my normal wheels the rest of the time - basically as I can maintain the bearings on those. I also only do gtrips which need the powerbank charging now and again.
I strap the ewerk to one of the tubes on the bike which I thought was normal. The output wire then passes into a Topeak fueltank
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s218p33 ... ank-medium
where my anker powerbank sits.

I suppose the removal and reinstallation of the gubbins would be simpler if the ewerk went in the fueltank as well but I think it would be cramped and the cables subjected to too much bending.
Thanks again.
Will reconsider the Son for my permanent solution.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:Will reconsider the Son for my permanent solution.

If you do - and there's arguments for and against - I'd just leave it on the bike all the time. It's a common idea to only fit a dynamo wheel when required, it's also common for people to change the plan and not actually do so (I did myself). First the drag (As you'll have discovered with the Shimano) isn't as much as some would have thought, then the reliability is such that I got at least 50,000 miles before needing a service (SON Klassic), lastly it's just a faff. On my bikes disconnecting spade connectors would be less effort than removing wiring I've taken the trouble to do neatly.
I use my dynamos primarily for lights, though I have a charger it's just used as a back up. If I was using a wheel just for my touring (Probably no more than 3,000 miles a year) I'd happily use any of them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:Will reconsider the Son for my permanent solution.

If you do - and there's arguments for and against - I'd just leave it on the bike all the time. It's a common idea to only fit a dynamo wheel when required, it's also common for people to change the plan and not actually do so (I did myself). First the drag (As you'll have discovered with the Shimano) isn't as much as some would have thought, then the reliability is such that I got at least 50,000 miles before needing a service (SON Klassic), lastly it's just a faff. On my bikes disconnecting spade connectors would be less effort than removing wiring I've taken the trouble to do neatly.
I use my dynamos primarily for lights, though I have a charger it's just used as a back up. If I was using a wheel just for my touring (Probably no more than 3,000 miles a year) I'd happily use any of them.

I agree about removing the bike wiring being a faff (and wastes plastic zip ties - must find the re-usable ones) - I put it back on for a planned trip a few days ago and am pretty sure I did it better last time.

but unlike you I have no intention of ever using the dynamo for lighting so seems pointless to have it on. I would also have to remove the ewerk from the bike anyway as I wouldn't want it sat there when the bike is used for general purpose stuff/sat locked in London.

I also take your point that either of them, ie Shimano included, very probably just fine and dandy for touring only use. Tho part of me thinks, buy a SON and it's unlikely I will ever need it serviced before leaving the planet or at least touring cycling.
Sweep