Short legs, long cranks, Dutch riding position.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: Short legs, long cranks, Dutch riding position.

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote:Surely this in effect the same as deepening the soul.

Deepening the soul requires years of study, listening to others, and learning from experience. Of course cycling can help.

; - )

Shirley
jb

Post by jb »

You can impart force to the crank but you don't increase the leverage (crank length) with either wood blocks or platform shoes.
Cheers
J Bro
mjr

Post by mjr »

Dutch bikes often need leaning over quite a bit for one foot to reach the floor while seated. It's that, or you slide forwards off-saddle as you stop. This might help persuade Dutch road engineers not to make bikes stop too often, including approach sensors and countdowns of red lights, and sometimes give them things to hold onto or rest their feet on, else they get more complaints than they would in the UK with our low BBs and trackstanding nutters!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Freeasabird

Post by Freeasabird »

mjr wrote:Dutch bikes often need leaning over quite a bit for one foot to reach the floor while seated. It's that, or you slide forwards off-saddle as you stop. This might help persuade Dutch road engineers not to make bikes stop too often, including approach sensors and countdowns of red lights, and sometimes give them things to hold onto or rest their feet on, else they get more complaints than they would in the UK with our low BBs and trackstanding nutters!

Very good point! I'm finding it ok to slide off forwards. So grateful to everyone on here for their advice, I had a lovely ride out today with everything adjusted properly, and at the right height, etc.
Freeasabird

Post by Freeasabird »

Jdsk wrote:
Freeasabird wrote:I would need to put my saddle up a little bit to have a fully extended leg with my heel on the pedal, but then I would be unable to put my feet down at all, as at the moment I am on absolute tiptoe.

Is that while sitting on the saddle?

It's common for the best riding position to be incompatible with getting both feet to the ground while still on the saddle. It might be necessary to start and stop off the saddle.

(We do teach children and set up their first bikes so that they can get at least their toes down, and this topic comes up quite often in the forums. I'm just working through it with a granddaughter.)

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Just wanted to thank you again for your advice, as I put my saddle up to the correct height and it made a big difference. Able to start and stop off the saddle just fine too. Finally riding my bike like a grown up. :roll: :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:Surely this in effect the same as deepening the soul.

Deepening the soul requires years of study, listening to others, and learning from experience. Of course cycling can help.

; - )

Shirley

:D