Matching shifters and front mech

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jessand

Matching shifters and front mech

Post by jessand »

Hi All

I have Shimano 4700 triple 10 speed shifters, can I use them with double chainrings using the stop screw to prevent overshifting?
2 If I can do the above, can I use any shimano 10s front derailleur or should it be the specific 4700?

Many thanks
Brucey

Re: Matching shifters and front mech

Post by Brucey »

the FD-4700 (double) mech has a completely different pull ratio to the triple FD and it basically won't work. Some older double FDs had a shift ratio that is similar to the FD-4703 (triple) which you presumably have, so these might work.

However it depends on the double chainset in question. If you are thinking of a 'compact double' then you will almost certainly have to adjust the shift ratio of the FD to get it to work with your shifters; the reason is that the throw of a FD for a compact double is more than an (older, i.e. with 10-12T range) 'standard' double, because the chainrings are spaced differently (by virtue of the dish on the big ring being different to allow you to run small-small).

So with the right FD (which might as well be FD-4703) and a ~11T range, and the correct chainrings etc, you can run a double chainset with your shifters. Or you might be able to do something clever with the shift ratio of an (older) double FD and make it work with a compact double. Otherwise you are in for little more than a bunch of indexed-front shifting induced misery.

IMHO a 3x10 system can nearly always be arranged to provide more, better gears than a 2x10 system, so I almost certainly wouldn't change it in the way you are intending to. Why are you thinking of changing it?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jessand

Post by jessand »

Thanks Brucey

Reason I considered changing was that I rarely use the big ring, I thought I may slmplyfy things by losing the big ring (46t) and fittng a bigger 'middle' ring of about 42t. From what you say I don't think it's worth attempting, my 26,36,46 works.
EDIT: I was looking at a super compact chainset of 26/42 or similar.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

changing to a compact double will save you about 100g and it might be simpler in use (*) but getting there won't necessarily be simple.

(*) the annoying thing about supercompact doubles is that the doubleshift is massive and very disruptive. Whenever I use one I keep thinking I wish there were another chainring between these two so that the doubleshifts are easier to manage.

We all use different gearing; If I had your triple the 46T ring would be the most used.

An easy change might be to use different rings (assuming this is a 74/110BCD chainset) and go to 24-34-44....? Would this suit you better?

cheers
jessand

Post by jessand »

Ah yes, would my 4703 fd cope with rings that small?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

probably yes. It won't be perfect though. It'll have to be set 4mm lower so check this is OK (and it doesn't hit the chainstay for example)

cheers
jessand

Post by jessand »

Many thanks Brucey, I'll give it a try.