Shock absorbing handlebar tape.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
taffyboyo

Shock absorbing handlebar tape.

Post by taffyboyo »

I have a Giant Defy Advanced 2 bike some 6 years old.
I would like to reduce the uncomfortable vibration when riding on a fast descend on our increasingly poorly surfaced roads .
What does the team suggest I do to dampen the vibration please?.
KM2

Re: Shock absorbing handlebar tape.

Post by KM2 »

You can buy gel inserts to go under the tape, which is probably the best way of reducing shock. Failing that, I use cork bike ribbon.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

get some pipe lagging foam ( some is quite dense ) from B&Q, slice along and bar tape over top. Or you can dense for handle bars just slice along an wrap around and bar tape over that
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

taffyboyo wrote:What does the team suggest I do to dampen the vibration please?.

if you can fit slightly wider tyres, and run them safely at lower pressures, do so.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

mercalia wrote:get some pipe lagging foam ( some is quite dense ) from B&Q, slice along and bar tape over top. Or you can dense for handle bars just slice along an wrap around and bar tape over that

Pipe lagging (or at least the stuff I have tried) seems to be only good for a few hundred miles, it soon looses its ability to absorb shock.

I have found massaging the forearm muscles help - don't understand why but has helped me.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

My bars are double wrapped with some skinnier tape as the first layer and Specialized Phat tape on one bike with Giant Connect bar tape on another.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Does anyone still use old inner tubes? My dad showed me how years ago, using insulating tape inside out to provide the stick. Then it's some cotton tape over the top, it dries quickly after rain and I adjust the 'softness' to required thorough tube size and wall thickness.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Double wrapped bars works for me.

Takes a little getting used to.

Also gel mitts are a good idea.

Also make sure when holding the bars you can grip lightly enough to just cup your fingers round the bars. If you have to ride holding on tightly there might be something wrong with your position on the bike?

Cheers James
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Line the top and bottom of the bars with the old tape you're removing. Attach with electrician's tape. Re-tape over it with the new (possibly thicker) tape.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Biospace wrote:Does anyone still use old inner tubes? My dad showed me how years ago, using insulating tape inside out to provide the stick. Then it's some cotton tape over the top, it dries quickly after rain and I adjust the 'softness' to required thorough tube size and wall thickness.

I did this to a Giant road bike on 25mm tyres and it transformed the ride. No more wrist and palm numbness/tingles.

Might not be suitable for smaller hands though.

On another bike, I moved from 32 to 40mm tyres and this made the biggest difference.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Relax your death grip on the bars - thicker cork tape might help too.

I've tried gel inserts, double wrapping and so on but i then get discomfort from the oversize grip, the thing which really worked was carbon handlebars but not the answer for everyone.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

I found an old gel type mouse mat in the cupboard and I cut that into strips and put them under some Cinelli gel handlebar tape.

I also stitched some strips from the mouse mat onto the palms of my mitts that were originally some Aldi womens MTB gloves that I cut the fingers off.

I am very impressed with the improved comfort levels on the terrible roads around here.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

If you buy the pukka padded Specialized bar tape it comes with a layer of Gel you put underneath it - see pic. This absorbs the road shock.
20181027_165918(1).jpg

I got some nice wide Richey bars as well - for me nice wide bars are more comfortable .. (48cm I think) YMMV...and I used a stem lifter to give my back a rest... I'm not a 20 something race whippet...so the tops of the bars are level with the saddle. Put it all together and its given me a nice comfortable bike..
Attachments
20181223_152211.jpg
20181014_174142.jpg
Billy007

Post by Billy007 »

What size tyres did you have on your bike at the moment?
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Grab on handlebar grips are the ideal.solution here.
Excellent and I used to use them all the time when I had drops. Fit using cheap hairspray rather than the soapy water suggested in the link https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-tape-grips/grabon-foam-maxi-handlebar-sleeves-for-drop-bars-black