Shock absorbing handlebar tape.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: Shock absorbing handlebar tape.

Postby Jdsk » 14 Sep 2020, 5:47pm

I like genuine Grab Ons.

Jonathan

hufty

Postby hufty » 14 Sep 2020, 7:52pm

There's a bit of a knack to getting Grab-ons on over any cables or hydraulic lines but it's very doable. YMMV but I find it's best to have the cables loose rather than taped into place. I thread them through the grip first then work the grip onto the bar and round. It helps if you swear a lot, also soften the grips in a bowl of hot water. Once the grip is in place you can pull the cables back and/or move them round to be where they need to be.

My other Grab-on tip is to wrap them with Spinnaker tape to increase longevity and stop them tearing when you lean the bike against a wall or whatever. 25mm wide spinnaker tape would be ideal but I haven't found any ever so I cut 50mm tape down the middle.

Jonathon Jdsk - are you insinuating that SJSC are selling cheap grips as Grab-Ons? I've bought a few sets from SJSC over the years and have never thought hang on this isn't the genuine article. Maybe drop Robin Thorn an email and ask, and let us know the outcome.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Sep 2020, 8:21pm

Not at all.

I've previously bought red foam non Grab On things that looked the same but crumbled much quicker.

Jonathan