E mount front derailleur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
francovendee

E mount front derailleur

Postby francovendee » 11 Sep 2020, 4:25pm

I need to replace the FD due to wear. The current FD is a clamp type, bottom swing, top pull. I've been given a brand new FD-M985-E that I'd like to fit but I don't see a way of stopping the mech. from moving. I don't think the BB would hold it firmly enough and it would just move.
Before trying it I thought I'd ask for some information. Is it best to forget trying to use it and get something similar to what's already on the bike?

gregoryoftours

Re: E mount front derailleur

Postby gregoryoftours » 11 Sep 2020, 8:45pm

The driveside of a BB should be installed pretty tight, easily enough to stop an e-mount mech from rotating. For example torque spec for Shimano square taper cartridge BB is 50-68nm, hollowtech 2 is 35-50nm. It can be a bit of a pain to get the BB tight enough and the mount in exactly the right rotational position. Bear in mind that your chainrings have to be the correct size to work properly with the mech as height is non adjustable.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 11 Sep 2020, 10:51pm

this particular model is meant to be adjustable between 40T and 44T big rings on the two screws

https://media.canyon.com/download/manuals/Manual_FD_985_EN.pdf

I prefer it when an E-fit mech has a bracket that locates against the seat tube; this can stop the mech from getting dragged round when things go belly-up.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 12 Sep 2020, 7:51am

Thanks for the clarification, I'll give it a try but I'm not confident it won't move.
I wonder if I can find a way to use a seat tube clamp to attach it to?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Sep 2020, 8:45am

if the worst happens and it gets into a tangle, the gear cable may help stop it from getting pulled round?

But if you are still leery maybe a band-on FD adaptor could be used to brace the E-mount? Such adaptors only cost a few quid, and a small 'L' shaped bracket could be used to tie the two together?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 12 Sep 2020, 9:12am

I had in mind something like that.
I think it's the occasional 'tangle' that puts me off relying on the BB attachment.
I suppose they must work or were they quickly dropped from the various fixings on offer because of unwanted movement?