Chain slipping in only one gear - chain swapped still an issue

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GeekDadZoid

Chain slipping in only one gear - chain swapped still an issue

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Good Evening All

Another question. I have been having a few issues with my gears on my Hybrid, it is a 3x8. These have mainly been apparent since I had the Cassette replaces at a local repair place as part of a service. I did have some slippage before bit it was across all gears as the cassette had worn out. I have finally sorted out the shifting issues I have been having, it was sticking when changed back to the smaller cogs.

What is happening now is that if I am in the second smallest cog at the back and the small or middle one at the front I get constant and predictable slippage on the chain, this does not happen in any other combination as far as I can tell and it only happens if I am putting pressure on the pedals rather than just allowing my legs to spin.

Could this be a chain issues, I have just got a chain wear gauge and I think this shows it is somewhat stretched, but why would the issue only be on this cog?

I have probably only done 200 miles on this cassette.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20200911_162849.jpg
Last edited by GeekDadZoid on 13 Sep 2020, 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Re: Chain slipping in only on gear

Post by foxyrider »

yep, definately a chain wear issue, you should have changed the chain with the cassette
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

foxyrider wrote:yep, definately a chain wear issue, you should have changed the chain with the cassette

To be honest I would have, to be honest I presumed, but didn't check, that the place that changed the cassette would have done. I only took somewhere rather than doing it myself to make use of the very rare government money being shown my way.

I'll get a new chain ordered right away.

Weird that it only happens on that one gear though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there could be a stiff link, and this only manifests itself when the chain is slackest.

Also if the chain that was fitted is a cheap one, it may not have hardened pins and can wear out in about 500 miles, less than this if conditions are adverse (dirty, poorly lubricated, sound familiar?)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Brucey wrote:there could be a stiff link, and this only manifests itself when the chain is slackest.

Also if the chain that was fitted is a cheap one, it may not have hardened pins and can wear out in about 500 miles, less than this if conditions are adverse (dirty, poorly lubricated, sound familiar?)

cheers

I will take that as my telling off :D

In my defense it's in much better condition than it was when I bought it for £15.
GeekDadZoid

Re: Chain slipping in only one gear - chain swapped still an issue

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Update

I have swapped the chain today and done some more cleanup but still having the issue, it does happen in the smallest cog too but not as often, it is still predictable on the second cog.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have no time to take it to a shop for a few weeks and need it to commute until my tires arrive for the backup bike.

I can avoid those gears if needed so I can still get to work, it's just very frustrating.
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Here is a photo of the chain the two biggest cogs, does it look like the chain is the right length, it the same length as the original, that was the full length of an 8 speed chain.
Attachments
IMG_20200913_181604.jpg
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

The chain length will be acceptable if that's it stretched round the biggest chainring and biggest cog. Could the chain be slipping at the front? It's not always obvious when the chain floats on the top of the chainring teeth. You often feel that it's missing its grip on the cassette if you're sitting on the bike and pedalling under pressure.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

if it had not been your smallest cog you could have flipped it over, but since you cant flip the smallest....

I have a box full of unused smallest from 7 speed, I think they would fit an 8 speed (@Brucey) PM me your address and I will post you one. (I am a big environmentalist and hate seeing waste)
the snail

Post by the snail »

Eyebrox wrote:The chain length will be acceptable if that's it stretched round the biggest chainring and biggest cog. Could the chain be slipping at the front? It's not always obvious when the chain floats on the top of the chainring teeth. You often feel that it's missing its grip on the cassette if you're sitting on the bike and pedalling under pressure.

+1 the chainring teeth that you can see in the1st pic look very worn?
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Pebble wrote:if it had not been your smallest cog you could have flipped it over, but since you cant flip the smallest....

I have a box full of unused smallest from 7 speed, I think they would fit an 8 speed (@Brucey) PM me your address and I will post you one. (I am a big environmentalist and hate seeing waste)

Thanks for the offer, I am not sure I can PM yet.

Thanks also to the others for suggesting the Chain ring, I suppose it makes sense to swap that out too now anyway. Need to work out what I need.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

+2 for the chain ring. Have just had that very issue on my lightly used MTB - alloy middle ring decided its time was up, then the replacement wouldn't play with the old chain :roll:
"42"
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

squeaker wrote:+2 for the chain ring. Have just had that very issue on my lightly used MTB - alloy middle ring decided its time was up, then the replacement wouldn't play with the old chain :roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hopefully I can find a like for like replacement
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Pebble wrote:...I have a box full of unused smallest from 7 speed, I think they would fit an 8 speed (@Brucey) PM me your address and I will post you one. (I am a big environmentalist and hate seeing waste)

thanks for the offer; however I've probably got sufficient already, since my habit is to shorten cassettes, typically by by deleting the smallest sprocket.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the chainrings might well be worn on the OP's bike but that doesn't explain why the chain skips/slips only on one or two sprockets, does it?

If there is no stiff link such sprocket-specific slips/skips are usually caused by something which inhibits the chain from feeding onto the sprocket properly; this includes worn/damaged teeth on those sprockets, and daft things like a build-up of dirt on the sprocket spacers, which can prevent the chain from 'sitting down' properly.

By leaning on a crank, holding the bike back on the brakes, and wheeling the bike forwards with the chain under constant tension, you can usually see the chain failing to feed onto the rogue sprocket, and thus at least prove where the fault lies, if not always how to fix it.

cheers