Dawes MTBs from the 1980s

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Dawes MTBs from the 1980s

Postby Brucey » 13 Sep 2020, 7:58pm

jimlews wrote:I have a theory that the Ranger was essentially a Galaxy frameset with 26" wheels...,

very different, with shaped chainstays (much longer than normal), oversized top tube etc.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Sep 2020, 8:05pm

mumbojumbo wrote:I have 2 overburys Cross Fell mtbs built in Bristol using Reynolds 531-easily made into a touring model.

like this?

a cross fell seems very similar to something between a Dawes ranger and a cougar, but is much more nicely built than a Dawes. I have a later overbury's 'pioneer' model in a Columbus tube mix, with sloping TT and shorter chainstays; a much livelier ride, but much less suitable for loaded touring.

cheers

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 13 Sep 2020, 8:18pm

Wondering what the smallest size was of these bikes? Always on the look-out for bikes for the 5'2" cyclist!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

julianm

Postby julianm » 13 Sep 2020, 8:40pm

There are some interesting conversions - MTB to tourer - on this thread, must be a Dawes in there somewhere - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... sions.html

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Sep 2020, 8:53pm

Slowroad wrote:Wondering what the smallest size was of these bikes? Always on the look-out for bikes for the 5'2" cyclist!

IMHO riders of around that height are often better served by later MTBs with sloping top tubes, even though they have their own issues. Horizontal top tubes and small frames mean very short head tubes and this creates a whole slew of knock-on issues. It does depend on what standover height is deemed acceptable though.

edit; this is a 19" Dawes cougar

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 14 Sep 2020, 5:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » 13 Sep 2020, 9:28pm

Interesting thread on bikeforums but I can't keep any interest due to all the adverts and popups :shock:
Prefer this forum

julianm

Postby julianm » 13 Sep 2020, 10:45pm

Didn't realise bikeforums was plagued with adverts - I use adblock plus all the time & it tells me there are 13 ads on that page, but they don't pop up!

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 14 Sep 2020, 6:23am

cross fell seems very similar to something between a Dawes ranger and a cougar, but is much more nicely built than a Dawes. I have a later overbury's 'pioneer' model in a Columbus tube mix, with sloping TT and shorter chainstays; a much livelier ride, but much less suitable for loaded touring.

cheers

Yes but mine has lost bar and stem but retained decals-dont use it much but may do one day/year.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 14 Sep 2020, 7:44am

Here is my bike at the train station....

Anyone know what Raleigh model it is. It's had an pro enamel paint job at some point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EALS3s3JCbdcYCiy7

Cheers James

bgnukem

Postby bgnukem » 14 Sep 2020, 12:20pm

I use a circa 1999 Dawes 1-Down frame as my commuter bike. At one time the Bike Shed in Devon were selling them off cheap, with basic Unicrown forks. Supposedly they were made from Reynolds 631 but the weight of my bike, around 33lbs with reasonably light kits and wheels, makes me think otherwise. I think the later Sardar was similar but with disc brakes. The frame makes a very stable platform for loaded touring.

Back in around '95 the top Dawes MTB was the 'Edge Team' and they had fillet brazed Reynolds 653 frames which looked nice.

I had a Raleigh Summit in '92 made from Reynolds Magnum tubing which looked ace in metallic purple with Rock Shox forks 8) Much too nice (and nickable) for commuting to Uni in Manchester as a student.......

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 5:14pm

here is the mystery frame that stimulated my interest;

Image01823.jpg
Horrible paint....

Image01824.jpg
both sides

Image01825.jpg
black sticky tape covers

Image01826.jpg
Reynold 531 AT transfer

The original paint job was green and black; there is more black now because (and call me mad if you like) I think black looks better than the alternative which is rust. 531 fork transfers were also found lurking beneath tape.

Spec is oversized tubing, and in the way it is put together is most like the Cougar upthread I suppose but unusually the rear dropouts (which look like suntour ones but are Dawes branded) only have one eyelet.

It was all in a bit of state when I got it; I've had to do a small weld repair and the handlebar stem has yet to part company with the steerer....

does anyone recognise the model/year?

cheers

horizon

Postby horizon » 14 Sep 2020, 8:16pm

Brucey wrote:
does anyone recognise the model/year?

cheers

I would put my money on a 1985 Dawes Countryman. The fork (non-unicrown), stem and brakes (cantilevers) are correct for the 1986 version as is the two-tone colour scheme except they use two different colours. It doesn't appear in 1987 so I'm assuming that it must be 1985.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 8:31pm

thanks for the suggestion but I suspect it is unlikely to be as early as that because the Reynolds transfer is the wrong type for that age of frame, isn't it?

This is a countryman

and it is most like a 'Ranger' but with less expensive running gear. It has the long chainstays of the Ranger, whereas the mystery frame is more like a Cougar in terms of geometry. This would have been clearer if I had had the wit to photograph it with some wheels fitted.

This is the usual Reynolds transfer to be found on a countryman/ranger frame

BTW the mystery frame is 130mm OLN at the back.

cheers

horizon

Postby horizon » 14 Sep 2020, 8:44pm

This is the 1985 catalogue with the Countryman in it. Everything is correct bar maybe the actual colours (the catalogue appears to be faded so I can't be sure) but the arrangement is also wrong so I'm going to withdraw on that one. I think what is interesting is the fork - the whole bike is a Sardar in all but name!*

https://dawescycles.files.wordpress.com ... es-cat.pdf

*Bar a few mechanicals like the OLN as you rightly point out. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 8:57pm

the Sardar has a different frame design, different wheelbase, different angles, different frame construction and is designed to accept dropped bars as well as flats. The countryman shares the wheel size and the ability to take a load with the Sardar, and not much else.

FWIW the 1985 Countryman was fitted with just 10 speed gears (double chainset), but AFAICT the 1986 model had the same paint, same frame design and a triple chainset.

What probably isn't very clear is that the mystery frame has multicoloured 'Dawes' transfers on the down tube and top tube, somewhat reminiscent of the ones on the 'leopard' model upthread. If you can see the pictures that is; many of them are not showing for me just now.

The transfers are very similar to the Dawes MTB shown here

https://s101.photobucket.com/user/lukebrennan76/media/lukebrennan76010/jjj_zps7c7ca206.jpg.html

Also this thread is interesting

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/251639/

cheers