Change wheelset or just tyres? Audax bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Magpies

Change wheelset or just tyres? Audax bike

Postby Magpies » 12 Sep 2020, 6:44pm

My Spa Ti Audax runs on Rigida Chrina 36h rims / Sapim spokes (wheels hand-built by 531Colin!) and Schwalbe Durano 700c x 25 tyres with Shimano 105 hubs. The wheelset weighs in at around 1700 gms front + rear. I use the bike for fast touring - toolkit but no heavy luggage - so a total load of ~75-80kg.

I’m looking for lighter and faster wheels for long day rides.

Am I better off replacing the entire wheelset, or just the tyres? If just the tyres, what’s out there other than the Durano that is a good compromise between lightness, durability and puncture-resistance?

Thanks for any advice.

geocycle

Re: Change wheelset or just tyres? Audax bike

Postby geocycle » 12 Sep 2020, 7:00pm

I have the same bike and have an order in with Spa for a new wheel set and Schwalbe one tyres. My rims were wearing and I fancied trying some 28mm tyres. Hopefully I’ll get them in a couple of weeks and be reminded of the spec. My current ones are kinlin 36/32. The new ones are a lighter build. Spa were very helpful and went through all the options including a dynohub. As always it depends on what you want to achieve and how much life you have in the current set. In general tyres make a much bigger difference than wheels in my experience.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Sep 2020, 11:07pm

You could easily get a wheelset ~200g lighter.... and less durable too....IMHO Duranos are the weak link in your current wheelset. Unfortunately anything faster and livelier is also liable to be less puncture resistant; c'est la vie....

For summer riding any of the lightweight low Crr tyres from Conti, spesh, Michelin, vittoria or Schwalbe will be night and day different to duranos, and unless you ride a lot in the wet/on flinty soil puncture rates are usually acceptable. 28s will be a fair bit comfier than 25s and (in the right tyre) are usually faster than 25s on 'real world' roads.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Sep 2020, 5:43am

Your existing wheels sound like a good compromise to me. if I were to find fault, I'd have had 36 rear, 32 front, but other than that I don't see anything to change. You can get lighter rims but they won't last as long.

Duranos feel dead. You could find tyres that are more supple, nicer to ride on, and faster. Conti GP 4 Seasons would give better grip in the wet, less vibration if you don't pump them up too hard, and they will be a bit faster, while still not puncturing much.

https://www.merlincycles.com/continenta ... 45210.html

Stick with 25mm. I don' think you will get 28mm in there with guards plus enough clearance for muddy lanes. 25mm 4 Seasons feel nice if you keep the psi well below 100.

andrewwillans49

Postby andrewwillans49 » 13 Sep 2020, 7:32am

What are you trying to achieve? More speed and or greater comfort? 28mm tyres would offer better comfort, for more speed ride your bike more. That's my opinion after 30 years of time trialling, audaxing and day rides. Others will no doubt have their own "advice". Ultimately, its just a bike ride and subjects like speed and comfort can be hard ro quantify. Enjoy every ride for what it offers.

Magpies

Postby Magpies » 13 Sep 2020, 9:16am

Thanks, all, for your input. The reason to think about changing my current setup is that the wheels 'feel' a bit unresponsive going up inclines or restarting from a complete stop. Comfort has been fine. From your replies, it looks like the tyres could be the problem, so I will first investigate changing the Duranos.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Sep 2020, 9:28am

it is very sensible to try different tyres first. My feelings about duranos is that they are good as a training or commuting tyre but they can really spoil the feel of a quality lightweight.

FWIW wheels feeling 'unresponsive' is unlikely to be changed very much with different wheels. The reason is that the Chrina rims are only about 50g heavier than the lightest rims that could sensibly be used; this leaves you with fewer spokes and stuff like aluminium nipples if you want to get the weight of the wheel periphery down further. Although I mentioned that you could build wheels ~200g lighter, much of this weight saving would be in the hubs, where it cannot affect the feel of the wheels in the same way.

You can easily save ~50g per tyre changing from Duranos; this is similar to the effect you might have changing wheels, but lighter tyres will roll more easily too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

whoof

Postby whoof » 13 Sep 2020, 10:08am

One consideration is are you going to permanently change or swopping back and forth. If it's the latter depending on how much you like changing tyres a second set of wheels with lighter tyres might be an option.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 13 Sep 2020, 10:13am

I like Vittoria Rubino tyres (I can't tell the difference when riding between standard tyres and pros). They seem a good compromise and are fairly cheap. Are you riding with mudguards? If so 28mm is likely to be a tight squeeze IHMO
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Magpies

Postby Magpies » 13 Sep 2020, 12:50pm

Yes, I was considering whether to get a second wheelset and swap back and forth, but decided to change the tyres permanently. The Vittoria s are a good tip, thanks