Disc Brake Pads

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iandusud

Disc Brake Pads

Postby iandusud » 14 Sep 2020, 10:27am

I need to buy a spare set of brake pads for the rear disc brake on our tandem. Obviously it works harder than on a solo bike so what is the best sort of compound to go for? My experience with motorcycles would push me towards sintered pads and up until recently I've only used rim or drum brake on pedal cycles.

jb

Re: Disc Brake Pads

Postby jb » 14 Sep 2020, 10:35am

Sintered pads can squeal a lot on Road bikes. They work best in the mud and wet and stuff. If its a solid fixing you might get away with it.

Organic or fibre are better for stopping & your sanity, you just have to replace them more often.
Last edited by jb on 14 Sep 2020, 12:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
J Bro

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 10:44am

sintered is good for a mechanical disc brake but there are risks on a tandem with hydro brakes. The reason is that sintered pads conduct heat into the brake caliper several times faster than typical organic or semi-metallic pads, and this greatly increases the chances of boiling up and losing the brake on a long descent. With a mechanical disc brake caliper it will probably carry on working when it overheats, but it might melt the any plastic parts (eg adjusting knobs) on the caliper.

Apparently I am a 'naysayer' for pointing out these potential problems; quite recently someone posted to the effect that they fitted disc brakes on their tandem 'against the advice of the naysayers' and took the fact that they hadn't killed themselves yet as total vindication of the safety of their brakes (whatever they were).

What utter tosh; if even one in a hundred people experience problems of this type that is too many for what is meant to be a reliable safety system, and people need to know about it, so they can act accordingly. Being a 'hidden danger' more or less, and having very unforgiving consequences, it is exactly the sort of thing that can cause very serious injuries.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 14 Sep 2020, 12:39pm

Thanks. I should have stated that I'm using Spyres, so cable operated and no plastic.

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 14 Sep 2020, 1:05pm

Goto disco brakes. Review their categorisation of the range of pads they sell. Choose the best match for your needs. I was quite happy with the Kevlar or copper free pads.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 1:48pm

iandusud wrote:Thanks. I should have stated that I'm using Spyres, so cable operated and no plastic.

there are plastic covers over some of the bolts and plastic retainers in the ballraces.

One reason for choosing sintered is that the wear rate is quite a lot lower than many other pad types, even in the wet.

cheers

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 14 Sep 2020, 2:07pm

freeflow wrote:Goto disco brakes. Review their categorisation of the range of pads they sell. Choose the best match for your needs. I was quite happy with the Kevlar or copper free pads.

That's very helpful. The Copper Free pads look interesting as they are amongst the most powerful with good heat dissipation and life expectancy.

PH

Postby PH » 14 Sep 2020, 6:01pm

iandusud wrote:
freeflow wrote:Goto disco brakes. Review their categorisation of the range of pads they sell. Choose the best match for your needs. I was quite happy with the Kevlar or copper free pads.

That's very helpful. The Copper Free pads look interesting as they are amongst the most powerful with good heat dissipation and life expectancy.

I'm using Discobrakes Kevlar pads which I assume are equivalent to what some other brands call organic or resin. They do wear quicker than sintered pads, though not as quick as other resin ones I've tried (Forget the brand) Compared to sintered they also IMO have a nicer feel, rarely sequel and work straight out of the packet rather than needing bedding in (They may slightly improve after the first few uses, but it isn't anything like as marked as with sintered) I'm using them on both mechanical and hydraulic brakes.
I'm prepared to accept checking wear and replacing a bit more frequently for what I consider to be improved performance, your priorities may be different.

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » 14 Sep 2020, 6:10pm

I saw a tandem with early disc brakes many years ago. The crew were a well-fed Geordie couple and the discs were heavily blued from overheating. It was quite alarming. Never seen that on a solo.

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 14 Sep 2020, 7:48pm

Have you got a link, as googling 'disc brakes' finds rather a lot

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 7:56pm

chris_suffolk wrote:

Have you got a link, as googling 'disc brakes' finds rather a lot

disco brakes

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 14 Sep 2020, 7:58pm

Ahh, my bad !

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 14 Sep 2020, 8:38pm

So,

I've got deore M6000 calipers. Disco only seems to M525 and M555. Is this a case of shimano numbering, and the M525 is the right one, or do they just not stock my pads?

Confused

PH

Postby PH » 14 Sep 2020, 8:44pm

chris_suffolk wrote:So,

I've got deore M6000 calipers.
Confused

I have those, the correct pad is this one - well at least I hope it is, it's the one I'm using and looks identical to the originals.
https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=1042&tb=001

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 9:31pm

[edit; the info below is wrong, mainly because EBC's pad compatibility information was wrong and I didn't double-check. There is a lesson there....]

BR-M6000 uses the same pattern of pad as;

Shimano BR-M475/M515/M525
Nexave C500/C600
TRP Spyre /Spyke/Hy-RD
Tektro Augila/Auriga

amongst others.

In EBC brakes this is pad type CFA327, and has backings that have principal dimensions 35mm x 30.68mm.

[edit; the correct EBC pad for BR-M6000, BR-M8000 etc appears to be CFA614]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 15 Sep 2020, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.