Chain tools required

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pendodave

Chain tools required

Postby Pendodave » 15 Sep 2020, 11:33am

I'm a little out of my comfort zone here, but would appreciate some advice.

I've got a 11-27t cassette (shimano sora 9 speed) which i would like to change to a 11-34t to help with hilly touring.
I understand that you should change chain and cassette at the same time, so I'll need to get and fit a new one.
What tools will i need for this? I'm planning on getting a bog standard shimano chain.
Could i specify a pre measured chain so that I can just clip it together, or am I likely to need to measure it in situ to ensure perfection.
Thanks.

Brucey

Re: Chain tools required

Postby Brucey » 15 Sep 2020, 11:38am

if the present chain is the correct length the new chain will need to be at least 3 links longer, which in practice almost certainly means four links because you can't have an odd number of links in a modern derailleur chain.

So you can count your links in the present chain and just buy one that is four links longer, and use that.

If you can't make the determination or buy the correct length the next easiest thing to do is to shorten a longer chain and use a 'quicklink' to connect the ends. This requires use of a chainbreaker to shorten the chain, which is a deal easier than using a chain tool to reconnect the ends using a 'special pin' as some chain types require.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 15 Sep 2020, 11:46am

What Brucey says, of course.

But how about taking the opportunity to practise one or more of the procedures for getting the right length while you're doing this? That way you'll be prepared for when you have to start from scratch.

Sheldon Brown: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain
Park Tools Repair: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Jonathan

Pendodave

Postby Pendodave » 15 Sep 2020, 12:14pm

Thanks for the advice and links (!).

I've looked at my existing chain and it has a master link in it. So presumably I will need some masterlink pliers to help me take if off.
I assume that the 'quicklink' which Brucey refers to is synonymous with masterlink?

I'd certainly prefer to get a pre-cut chain, but in the event of requiring a chainbreaker to create a bespoke product, I was a wondering if the cheaper offerings would be any good, as the park tool one (for example) is a significant fraction of the cost of my bike!

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 15 Sep 2020, 12:16pm

There's a wide range of proprietary magic links. The experts here will probably be able to recognise yours from a photo.

Jonathan

PS: I got it!

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 Sep 2020, 12:17pm

master/quick links can usually be opened without recourse to special tools, eg

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139384&p=1510495&hilit=link#p1510495

Park Tool CT5 chain tool is not too expensive and good enough for what you are trying to do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pendodave

Postby Pendodave » 15 Sep 2020, 12:34pm

Many thanks to you both.
Hopefully there won't be an exasperated follow up in a couple of weeks once I've collected all the bits and pueces together...