UN55 BBs not so good anymore?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: UN55 BBs not so good anymore?

Post by Brucey »

fastpedaller wrote:
I'd be reluctant to try and dislodge the outer seals because (from the FSA experience yesterday) they fit into a groove in the outer race, so could be easily damaged.

The seals fit in exactly the same way as those in every other cartridge bearing; I have removed and refitted hundreds. In a perfect world they would come out with no risk of damage. We are not in a perfect world, and removing them -even if you make a small nick in the edge- is as usual the lesser of two evils. [IME water always gets in past the seal lip, even if there is a small nick near the outer edge, presumably because grease either blocks the hole or is always coming out of it. This is especially likely in the case of the BBs in question because the bearing centres usually have no shoulder, and no labyrinth, i.e. they are likely to leak like sieves.]

I note your comment about retaining compound, which leads me to ask.... Do the expensive separate bb units without a structural sleeve use retaining compound? can we just rely on a small preload to hold the outer races?

they should use a different fit quality (on the diameter) between the parts, and retaining compound is not normally required. However if wear occurs, I've added it when rebuilding such units. It only takes a few microns of wear to make a difference.

There's another possible bonus to this idea, in that an additional shield (eg made using old inner tube) could be sandwiched between each cup and its bearing, this could also act as a 'spring washer' thus preventing the bearings rotating in the cups?

You can indeed manufacture additional seals/shields. As reported elsewhere I have made brass shields and used them in BB units like this as well as suspension pivots in MTBs etc. However I would not use inner tube rubber unless it was proven not to swell up and deteriorate in the presence of the lube you use. I would also not use any plastic or rubber if the BB sleeve sees a decent preload; it will simply compress. Brass shields can be used with or without a compressed centre sleeve. Making brass shields is a lot of effort but if you do it right the shields will outlast several sets of bearings.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

fastpedaller wrote:This looks to be the same type of construction as the UN55 - can't say I'm a fan of the blue cups, but I could accept them if the unit works

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/68x103-124-5 ... %7Ciid%3A1

"Great length for Fixed Gear Mountain Bikes" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've bought one out of interest anyway. They're more like un50, cups constraining a unit cartridge, whereas un53 upwards are unit cartridge with integral right cup. At least to my mind. I really wish Shimano would bring back un53
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

AndyA wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:This looks to be the same type of construction as the UN55 - can't say I'm a fan of the blue cups, but I could accept them if the unit works

"Great length for Fixed Gear Mountain Bikes" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've bought one out of interest anyway. They're more like un50, cups constraining a unit cartridge, whereas un53 upwards are unit cartridge with integral right cup. At least to my mind. I really wish Shimano would bring back un53

please report back in time.
I did look but most lengths seemed to be out of stock.
Sweep
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Some scope with 'alternative chainlines' with those? Because neither cups is fixed to the bearing unit, if the axle unit is turned around so the shorter end is on the drive side, the RH crank will be closer to the frame!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Could someone please translate the description into English!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Found what I consider to be a bargain today..... Neco BB's at SJS for 5.99 - so 2 with delivery is (just) sub £16. Strangely I examined one of these in our local car/bike spares shop, branded as ETC and distributed by Moore Large, but BB had NECO on it - an 'extra' lip seal features on each cup in addition to the usual bearing seals/shields. Looked a reasonable product. May be useful info for anyone wanting a BB?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

My Neco bottom brackets came today - alas no additional sealing between the cups and the axle, so they must be a different model to the ones described above. Still good value though, and ideal for the spares drawer.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

fastpedaller wrote:My Neco bottom brackets came today - alas no additional sealing between the cups and the axle, so they must be a different model to the ones described above. Still good value though, and ideal for the spares drawer.

Ah. Was rather hoping you were about to fit one so that you could report back.
Sweep
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

PH wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 8:54am
slowster wrote: So the question is not whether UN55 BBs are not so good anymore, but what Shimano or other brand square taper cartridge bottom bracket is now the best value.
It may be that by the time you've worked that out it's all changed again.
I'm choosing the IRD Defiant, available in the sizes I want and £70 with a ten year warranty. I currently have two and the older is about 2 years, these may be the last BB's I buy. The only issue with them is they look too nice to hide away.
image-31.jpg
https://southerndistributors.co.uk/prod ... 5-defiant/
The £100 IRD Defiant QB95 has Tange-Seiki sealed cartridge bearings, so maybe the Tange Seiki LN-7922 or £20 Tange Seiki LN 3922 will be good too, all made in Japan.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/t ... ll-lengths
PH

Post by PH »

GuyBoden wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 1:57pm
PH wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 8:54am I'm choosing the IRD Defiant, available in the sizes I want and £70 with a ten year warranty.
The £100 IRD Defiant QB95 has Tange-Seiki sealed cartridge bearings, so maybe the Tange Seiki LN-7922 or £20 Tange Seiki LN 3922 will be good too, all made in Japan.
£100 :shock: :shock:
It was £70 when i posted that nine moths ago :shock:

That Tange-Seiki might be a good call at that price if they have the size you want. I'm not sure if they are the same bearings, IRD also do a couple of other "Made in Japan" BB's which may also be Tange-Seiki, and they're a more reasonable £35.
GuyBoden

Post by GuyBoden »

PH wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 2:11pm
GuyBoden wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 1:57pm
PH wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 8:54am I'm choosing the IRD Defiant, available in the sizes I want and £70 with a ten year warranty.
£100 :shock: :shock:

That Tange-Seiki might be a good call at that price if they have the size you want. I'm not sure if they are the same bearings, IRD also do a couple of other "Made in Japan" BB's which may also be Tange-Seiki, and they're a more reasonable £35.
Sorry, I made a mistake, the IRD Defiant QB95 is only £99.99
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brac ... -mm-shell/

Tange-Seiki LN-7922 is my choice. £27
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/t ... cups-light

Edit: Luckily I have a made in Singapore, unused Shimano BB-UN55 in my garage.
PH

Post by PH »

GuyBoden wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 2:57pm
PH wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 2:11pm £100 :shock: :shock:
Sorry, I made a mistake, the IRD Defiant QB95 is only £99.99
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brac ... -mm-shell/
For clarity - I wasn't questioning it, just registering shock that the price has jumped £30 in nine months.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

The Tange-Seiki LN-7922 sounds like it might be a good call. Many years ago when I was building bikes for customersI would only recommend two headsets, either Tange Levin or Campag Record. The Tange was as cheap as chips but the precision of the manufacture and quality of the bearing surfaces meant it was a lovely headset. The only objection you could possibly have against it was the weight as it was an all steel affair, in which case I would recommend the alloy Campag Record (at about 5 times the price) which again was a really good headset. I still have one of each of these fitted on bikes in the garage which are in regular use and they are both over 30 years old. If Tange are still making stuff to their former standard then I would reckon on their BBs being good.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I remember a CJ Cycle article which said the cups and cones in an old fashioned non-unit square taper BB were the wrong way round for best reliability:

If the quality of all in one 'sealed' units is falling, perhaps an enterprising business could make/commission a oldfashioned discrete BB but with cups on the axle, perhaps with a grease port on non chainside.....?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Ironically, the notorious BMX and Ashtabula BBs with press-in cups, and cones threaded onto the axle, do it the best way. They are usually badly sealed and made by orcs, though, negating any advantage.