UN55 BBs not so good anymore?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
toontra

Re: UN55 BBs not so good anymore?

Post by toontra »

Thanks for that info - really useful!

Just had a look for online sales of the UN300. Some retailers seem to offer 2 versions of each length - one presumably standard, the second labeled "for chain case". Any idea on the possible difference (if any)?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the chaincase type is designed to trap a bracket ~1.5 to 2mm thickness between the RH cup and the frame. It is accordingly slightly longer where it fits to the frame, so (if no chaincase is used) the BB can be used with a +2mm BB shell or with spacers to fine tune the chainline.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
toontra

Post by toontra »

Brucey wrote:the chaincase type is designed to trap a bracket ~1.5 to 2mm thickness between the RH cup and the frame. It is accordingly slightly longer where it fits to the frame, so (if no chaincase is used) the BB can be used with a +2mm BB shell or with spacers to fine tune the chainline.

cheers

Ah OK. Thanks Brucey!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Out of interest, anyone know what this is:
(I acquired a couple of spare 113 UN55s recently but need some 110s as spares)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BBHOGS/ho ... om-bracket

Despite PlanetX's copywriting, it's clearly just a branding exercise (did Holdsworth even EVER make BBs????) so i wondered who's behind it/what it might be like.

For a tenner.
Sweep
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Sweep wrote:Out of interest, anyone know what this is:
(I acquired a couple of spare 113 UN55s recently but need some 110s as spares)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BBHOGS/ho ... om-bracket

Despite PlanetX's copywriting, it's clearly just a branding exercise (did Holdsworth even EVER make BBs????) so i wondered who's behind it/what it might be like.

For a tenner.

Good spot: might be too small for touring bikes with certain triples at 110 but I’d be interested to see if anyone has bought/used one.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it looks identically constructed to a Chin Huar bottom bracket.

cheers
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Chain Reaction are clearlying out some FSA 73mm 113mm bottom brackets at 79p

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa ... prod105994

Might help someone. I think I've had one FSA bottom bracket in the past and it was really good, made in Taiwan and high quality but a bit suspicious why they are clearing these out so cheap.

£20 order required for free delivery. I think £2.99 otherwise.

Don't forget topcashback or quidco.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I've recently bought two UN55 (110/68) bottom brackets from Spa and one from SJS.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:it looks identically constructed to a Chin Huar bottom bracket.

(also wondering if the abomination of an isis thing which failed in my Dahon SpeedPro was one of their jobbies - but can't check)
Sweep
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

it looks identically constructed to a Chin Huar bottom bracket. . . .

Well I was destined to have one in Carrera Subway 8 but while Halfords was testing the bike the bottom bracket failed so a I got a free upgrade to a Shimano unit. Also I bought a cheap new Kona Lanai and the bracket clicked all the time and I found out there was a recall on them as they were so awful and unsafe. I would actively avoid anything made by them and it gets annoying when other brands rebrand such products as its difficult to keep track of which products not to buy. I think I've got it in my head to avoid Shimano UN-100 bottom brackets though.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Bonzo Banana wrote:Chain Reaction are clearlying out some FSA 73mm 113mm bottom brackets at 79p

Might help someone. I think I've had one FSA bottom bracket in the past and it was really good, made in Taiwan and high quality but a bit suspicious why they are clearing these out so cheap.

Out of stock. Damn.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

markjohnobrien wrote:
Bonzo Banana wrote:Chain Reaction are clearlying out some FSA 73mm 113mm bottom brackets at 79p

Out of stock. Damn.

I checked before posting that it was still in stock but they were destined to sell out quickly.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Bonzo Banana wrote:
markjohnobrien wrote:

Out of stock. Damn.

I checked before posting that it was still in stock but they were destined to sell out quickly.

Yes, thanks, for the link: I was just miffed they had sold out so fast.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

The supply of decent square taper bottom brackets seems to be diminishing?

What's the preferred option now that UN55 is no longer made? Has anyone tried the replacement UN300?

I've used the variously-branded RPM/PowerPro/Sugino BB7420 model for a while and it seems to be OK though Brucey has said there have been cases of failed axles.

Can't recommend the carbon-shelled Token type, rough bearings after one wet ride. Re-greased them and re-fitted but a couple of rides later the thing is making all sorts of noises again so will be headed for the bin!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Token type BB has extra seals which in practice can mean that there is more scope for the thing to make funny noises. The seals are not that good despite there being two sets of them.

cheers