Sand the finish off steerer to help install crown race?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vantage

Re: Sand the finish off steerer to help install crown race?

Post by Vantage »

Save yourself a load of trouble and ditch the terious. Those things are terrible. It's almost impossible to get the right amount of pressure on them for smooth steering and even when it is done they're rough as a cheese grater and prone to debris getting past the seals.
If you do stick with it, I got mine on by sanding the paint off the seat and a bit of grease. Pig headed determination also helps.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rogerzilla wrote:
531colin wrote:
rogerzilla wrote:Ah...I have a Tange Technoglide headset with a mismatched crown race (probably for a Falcon) and another one with the correct crown race. I think they sometimes get mixed up at the factory, since they look incredibly similar. You'll need to get a replacement, and ensure Spa check it first.

I assume it's a 1 1/8" steerer? Most bike shops should have the 30.0mm crown race cutter which, if the fork was correctly machined at the factory, will merely skim off the coating. I only have a 26.4mm, I'm afraid.

Sorry, I'm confused.
There are at least 2 "standard" crown race diameters for 1" headsets.
For 1 1/8" headsets I am only aware of 30mm crown race diameter. What is the alternative diameter, please?

There isn't one. I mainly have to deal with 1" forks.

Thank you for the clarification.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have no idea how it would work out in practice, but IN THEORY heating up the crown race (Gas mark 8 for ten minutes should do it) will increase the aperture diameter. Of course the problem in practice is that you would have to work quickly because it will cool down and could get stuck half way down.....

It would be a variant on what coopers do when they put hoops around barrels.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I used that to get new cartridge bearings into a hub once. Hub in the oven for 10 minutes!

(This works less well if the wheel is built :D )
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

I have no idea how it would work out in practice, but IN THEORY heating up the crown race (Gas mark 8 for ten minutes should do it)

I have used this method and it worked for me.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

An update. Many thanks for all the thoughts above. I have managed to get the crown race over the collar and fully fitted after using some coarse emery cloth to remove the ED coating from the collar. I also made a better fitting cap for the setting tool by combining caps with one reversed to make a larger diameter driver. I used lots of grease and wielded the rubber mallet with much vim whilst wearing ear defenders. Job done. Star nut next.