Dynahub lamp recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
garygkn

Re: Dynahub lamp recommendations

Post by garygkn »

I didn't actually look very far I must admit.
I saw that first deal and thought I'd try and research it but the other one that caught my eye was

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bus ... JsEALw_wcB

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my moto g(7) power using hovercraft full of eels.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by interestedcp »

There is indeed a bewildering amount of dynolights on the market, however I think that in reality there are only a few models that are relevant for you (I assume a few things based on your current setup).

The 80 lux B&M CYO Premium (model nr. 1752QSNDI):
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo- ... qsndi.html?

The 80 lux B&M CYO Premium "T" (model nr. 1752QTSNDI)
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo- ... tsndi.html?

The 100 lux B&M IQ-X (black/silver variations)
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo- ... ilber.html?

The 100 Lux Schmidt Edelux II (comes in many colour and cable variations)
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/head ... b-dynamos/

Generally speaking B&M and Schmidt have the best reflectors and beam shapes. (Schmidt are using B&M's reflector design). There are also Supernova. Haven't really followed what their latest models are capable of, but generally speaking, their beam shapes wasn't as good as the B&M/Schmidt models.
With a gigantic sweeping generalisation, I will say that all other dynamo lamps on the market other than the above three models, are for people on a limited budget, or because they want a certain look or certain features like USB charging.

B&M CYO Premium probably has the best mixture of value value for money and capabilities.
I don't think it makes sense to choose a light cheaper than this unless one have a hard budget limit.
The optics and light beam characteristics are excellent, and reliability is also very good. Have been using it since 2014 with no problems.

A caveat is that it isn't a good choice for bikes without mudguards: in order to avoid water condensation destroying the electronics the lamp has a "breathing slit" in the bottom. Without mudguards it is possible for the front wheel to "sling" water upwards and into the lamp. The breathing slit is otherwise well protected from even extreme rain, and even "waterproof" lights have problems with constantly being sprayed with water with a speed of +30 km/h, so excepting the non-mudguard scenario, I wouldn't worry. Rosebikes gives an additional 3 years warranty this model, presumably because of its reliability.

I use the Cyo Premium model without the extra daylight LEDs on both my bikes because I prefer things to be as simple as possible, so I have no personal experience with the "T" model.

B&M IQ-X
No personal experience with it, but it does seem to put a lot more light on the road than the Cyo Premium, but also at a higher price.

Schmidt Edelux II
This model have been silently upgraded to 100 lux since its launch. While it shares reflector design with the Cyo Premium (and possible the LED from the IQ-X), it has better cooling and "potted electronics", optically treated mineral glass etc. In short, probably the best dynamo lamp on the market when disregarding price. It has a 5 years warranty too.
Last edited by interestedcp on 25 Sep 2020, 11:48am, edited 2 times in total.
--
Regards
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have the IQ Cyo Premium T and it does put out enough light and keeps it on the road, but it creates a pattern of light on the road that bothers me. I prefer a smooth pool of light on the road surface, and that lamp doesn't do that. The blurb for the IQ X talks about a smooth and wide beam and for that reason I would give that a go if I were buying again. And it looks nicer.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I broadly agree with interestedcp's assessment. The fact that the IQ-X is only £68 (plus shipping) from Rose bikes and they offer a 5-year warranty on it makes it pretty much a 'no brainer' IMHO.

However I additionally note that

- The IQ-X is designed to be mounted either way up with just a simple adjustment; it is I think the only lamp on the market of this sort ( by contrast if you want to mount an Edelux upside down, you need to buy a different Edelux dedicated to the inverted configuration).

- The IQ-X comes with an adjustable bracket; however this bracket is taller than other headlight brackets and this means that it doesn't suit every bike. Fortunately other brackets will fit and are inexpensive.

The bracket issue is explained in more detail here

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

I tinker with led lights and have tried the DIY option on several dynamos. Low speed flicker is an issue but I've noticed it's worst with a shimano dynohub, less with a Sturmey gh6 dynohub, and less with a bottle dynamo, probably related to how many magnets are installed and how fast they rotate. Volts arn't an issue as the generator delivers what the led requests. I've got a system on my shopper with the Sturmey dynohub running at 3.2 volts after rectification running a single led on the front and cheap battery led on the rear. If I leave a pair of rechargeable battery's in the rear it doubles as a standlight keeping the rear light on nice and bright but the front is dimmed when stationary. As Greystoke says for a simple cheap solution without a standlight then a 12v mr11 or mr16 would be a way forward and you could use a 12v red led car brake light as a rear light although I haven't tried this yet.
Good link here to diy solutions. http://pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/DynamoCircuits.htm
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

Well done for sticking with the E6's for so long, it's probably ten years since I traded mine in for LED lights. As you've demonstrated longevity is important to you, I'd buy the best, which is IMO the current Edelux model. I have that and an IQ-X , I slightly prefer the beam of the IQ-X but the switch is annoying and turns on seemingly at random and the build quality feels lower than the Edelux. I appreciate they have the same warranty and one is half the price of the other, but if I was expecting a light to last another twenty years, I'd put my money on the Edelux.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Another one for the tinkerers; the IQ-X is also sold in an e-bike specific version, boasting a whopping 150lux output. However it is specified as using

6-60V DC only and needs a minimum of 7.5W .

So I wonder what would happen if you rectified (and perhaps smoothed) a hub dynamo output and used this light?

I would imagine that the lamp won't reach full brightness with less than 7.5W on tap, but may still work acceptably at lower powers. Remember the '3W' output is specified as a percentage of this into a purely resistive load at some low speed (12kph from memory). Perhaps importantly many hub dynamos can dish out >6W if loaded in the correct fashion, so you might reach full brightness at speed with this lamp, at speed when going downhill, just when you need it.

It sounds a bit crazy, (bearing in mind the output of modern lamps is higher at all speeds than the stuff I used to use), but I still miss the light getting brighter when running downhill!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brucey wrote:... but I still miss the light getting brighter when running downhill!

: - )

Who remembers the wipers slowing when you drove uphill?

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Jdsk wrote:
Brucey wrote:... but I still miss the light getting brighter when running downhill!

: - )

Who remembers the wipers slowing when you drove uphill?

Jonathan

Only the hand operated ones which had a turn handle on the dashboard. 8)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

tatanab wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:My 80 discharges the batteries while off which has made me think it is quite a poor battery light, I have to remove them after each use which is a pain.
No problem here. Mine stays in a drawer doing nothing for months. I'd suggest the batteries are old and self discharging. I use high capacity low self discharge Eneloop black.

Spanninga also changed the colour of the Philips rear light (lumiring - elips) to be more orange than red. It is still probably the best rear light. Other cyclists often ask me what it is when stopped at lights etc.
I too have had comments from other riders, and the occasional one from motorists too. I have Philips fitted, bur Spanninga in stock for future use - also battery models.

Agree with all of the comments here re the Philips 60 - I have used one for many years and a fantastic commuter light - I haven’t used the more recent Spanninga copy yet.

I’ve also used the Philips rear dynamo LumiRing which is brilliant and have a stock of two dynamo and two battery for future use: I’ve also bought the Spanninga Elips copy but not used yet.

Cyo 80 premium is in use on another bike and while it’s good,and I’ll continue using, the beam isn’t as smooth as the Philips 60 and has a noticeable hotspot.

I’ve been searching for an cheaper Exposure Revo for years as they are ridiculously expensive (£240 RRP and £216 discounted) and have been lucky to get one very, very, cheap this week -

https://exposurelights.com/revo-dynamo

It will be interesting to see how it compares as it’s not a road shaped/cut off beam as all of the above but it has received some outstanding reviews especially from Singletrack magazine and forum.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

You may be disappointed by the bluish light from LEDs. There is far more of it but it gets swallowed up by wet roads. The human eye is a funny thing when it comes to colour temperature.

At least you can usually see when cornering; the E6 beam is so narrow that 90 degree bends are scary.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

tatanab wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:My 80 discharges the batteries while off which has made me think it is quite a poor battery light, I have to remove them after each use which is a pain.
No problem here. Mine stays in a drawer doing nothing for months. I'd suggest the batteries are old and self discharging. I use high capacity low self discharge Eneloop black.

No, I also use eneloops. There must be some problem with the light. If left for more than a week it drains them below the minimum recharge voltage and I have to jump them from another battery to get back up the minimum voltage up to a point where they will charge.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Throwing this into the mix for comments, run a pair of usb rechargeable lights from a simple bridge rectifier driven by your dynamo which should keep the batteries topped up when using.
Aldi have some at the moment £14.99
https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-front-a ... 9387778000
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I use an IQ-X E with a 16850 based battery pack. It is an excellent light if a little white.